Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chicago electrician recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger and getting an S.

The one unknown for me that remains is how I'll get 240V outlet in my garage.

I live in a 115 year old house (in Andersonville) with a detached garage, accessed via the alley. The garage has on existing 110 outlet (for the door opener). There is a very old single fuse box in the garage (with a screw fuse). The electric meter is on the back of the house, with the fuse box in the basement.

The electricity to the garage must be underground. Digging up the back yard, which isn't really an option given the extensive hardscape and decking. So I guess a line would need to be run overhead to the garage.

Anyway, I'm clueless about all things electrical, so have no idea how this might be accomplished and at what cost. Maybe it's not that big of a deal, but would like to know this part of the puzzle before I take the $100,000 plunge....

Can anyone recommend an electrician in Chicago that might be up for this challenge?

Thanks!

Anyway, I'm clueless about all things electrical, so have no idea how this might be accomplished and at what cost. Maybe it's not that big of a deal, but would like to know this part of the puzzle before I take the $100,000 plunge....

Just off-the-cuff, it's not going to be an inexpensive proposition. A new feeder will have to be run from the home to the garage, probably the best bet is directly from the meter to a new panel in the garage. Off the cuff, without looking, I'm guessing a few thousand ($3,000 would be my wholly unqualified WAG) to do the feeder run from the base of the meter using AL to a new panel in the garage, a circuit for your door opener, and a circuit for the charging. That doesn't include permitting fees. It'll be more if you have to upgrade your service (new meter pan, etc.)

Underground really isn't that hard to do... directional boring makes it pretty easy to work around stuff like that.

One of the Chicagoland folks can probably point you at a good electrician. Good luck!

I used Matt @ http://melectricianservices.com for my installation (and other electrical work). He has experience with HPWC installations. He also re-routed power to my detached garage when I lived on the northside (I also had no clue how I was going to accomplish what I needed in that scenario, since the old wiring was underground and fried after a thunderstorm). Good luck, you won't regret taking the plunge!

If in the Chicagoland area and looking to install a Nema 14-50, I would highly recommend RJK Electrical Solutions. I worked with Joe Ambrosini and couldn't have been happier. His service was reasonably priced, fast, professional and on time. He clearly knows his stuff and is familiar with the needs of a Tesla Charging station.
Joe Ambrosini
[email protected]