Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mod Note:
Due to server changes made by Tesla, most owners now need the version posted here.

[The FAQ is here]

[Documentation including installation instructions are online here]

[Release notes for the current version are online here]

I put together a little desktop app called VisibleTesla that allows you to do the same things that the iPhone app does, plus a few new things as well. It is based on the great work done by the folks of the "Model S REST API" thread. In fact, I announced it in that thread and have been discussing there until now. I feel that I was cluttering that thread with topics that aren't strictly about the REST API, so I started a new thread here.

You can always find the latest version of VisibleTesla in this repository. Sometimes the latest version will be newer than what is listed in this post. That means I consider it to be experimental. There will usually be a number of previous versions there as well. If you have problems with the latest version, you can back off to a previous version to see if it works better.

You can read the documentation for VisibleTesla online here. It will give you a feel for what the app looks like, what it can do, and how to use it. Please take a look at the documentation and release notes that come when you download the app. They give some basic instructions.

NOTE
: I will no longer edit this post to list new updates to VisibleTesla. The app will automatically check for updates on a weekly basis and users may manually check for updates at any time by selecting the "Help->Check for Updates" menu item. I will continue to announce new versions as normal posts in this thread.

Here are some quick links to relevant posts from the original thread:

This is just a fun side project that I'm doing with snatches of free time when I can find them. The source is published on github in two parts: The client library (TeslaClient) and the Application (VisibleTesla).

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: nico180
Thanks for this! Great work! I don't have the car yet, but expect delivery in a few weeks. Seeing as the phone app is not yet up on the EU app store, this makes me feel just a tiny bit closer to my car :)

Making a Standalone Mac OS X Bundled App

In case someone wants to make a standalone bundled Mac OS X app, here is what you need to insert into build.xml file between <project></project>.

Code:
<property environment="env" />

<taskdef name="bundleapp"
         classname="com.oracle.appbundler.AppBundlerTask"
         classpath="lib/appbundler-1.0.jar" />

<target name="bundle-VisableTesla">
    <bundleapp outputdirectory="dist"
        name="VisableTesla"
        icon="dist/Tesla Keyfob.icns"
        displayname="Visable Tesla"
        identifier="org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla"
        mainclassname="org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.VisibleTesla">
        <runtime dir="${env.JAVA_HOME}" />
        <classpath file="/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_25.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/jfxrt.jar" />
        <classpath dir="dist/lib" />
        <classpath file="dist/VisibleTesla.jar" />
    </bundleapp>
</target>

This will build a standalone app that has the jdk bundled into it, so it won't require the jdk to run on a machine that it's not installed in. The app will have the specified icon attached to it.

Things you'll need before using the above code:
  1. The appbundler-1.0.jar file and directions from Packaging a Java App for Distribution on a Mac . Take special note about setting up JAVE_HOME.
  2. Create an icon from the keyfob.png file and place it in the dist folder. I use the free Img2icns | making icons can't be easier!
  3. Make sure your installed jdk is properly listed in the <classpath file=> as shown above

jpasqua,
Congratulations on this effort, it appears well done. Unfortunately, after downloading the app, I was unable to figure out how to run it. Is it Windows compatible? What steps need to be taken to get it to install/run?

You need Java Runtime (JRE) installed on your machine. See here : Download Free Java Software

Unzip the VisibleTesla archive where you want. I put mine here : C:\Program Files\Tesla\VisibleTesla 0.14

Start a command shell and "cd" to the directory where you unzipped VisibleTesla.

Then you can start the app by running a command like this : java -jar VisibleTesla.jar

You need Java Runtime (JRE) installed on your machine. See here : Download Free Java Software

Unzip the VisibleTesla archive where you want. I put mine here : C:\Program Files\Tesla\VisibleTesla 0.14

Start a command shell and "cd" to the directory where you unzipped VisibleTesla.

Then you can start the app by running a command like this : java -jar VisibleTesla.jar

Actually, to run it, it could be simpler : unzip, find the VisibleTesla.jar in the directory, right click and select Create shortcut in the popup menu.
The right-click again and select Properties. Then in the Target field, just add java -jar in front of what is there already. Click OK button.
You can then drag and drop the shortcut to your Start menu, for future use.

Actually, to run it, it could be simpler : unzip, find the VisibleTesla.jar in the directory, right click and select Create shortcut in the popup menu.
The right-click again and select Properties. Then in the Target field, just add java -jar in front of what is there already. Click OK button.
You can then drag and drop the shortcut to your Start menu, for future use.

I just clicked on the jar file and it started.
Just one thing I noticed. (v0.13) on the location tab the default is "Map". If I click "Satellite" it switches back to "map" when it does a refresh. (every 15 seconds?)
Just downloaded and looked at the map in v0.14. looks like this was fixed.
on second thought not fixed.

Last edited:
Great app!

Any chance seat heaters will ever be an option on this or the iOS/Mobile app you think?

Unfortunately at the moment there isn't any command (at least no one has found a command) to operate the seat heaters. If there is one, it should be easy to add.

- - - Updated - - -

I just clicked on the jar file and it started.
Just one thing I noticed. (v0.13) on the location tab the default is "Map". If I click "Satellite" it switches back to "map" when it does a refresh. (every 15 seconds?)
Just downloaded and looked at the map in v0.14. looks like this was fixed.

No, that's a bug. If you're not seeing it auto-refresh that may be 2 bugs! I'll look into it.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Sweet!

I was doing something similar, with an almost identical tabbed layout in JavaFX. Yours is much nicer :smile:

I do a lot of Gradle scripting - if you'd like some help getting the build IDE independent and more portable, let me know.

I also did the tips to get a native OS X app - it's going to drive the guys at work nuts!

Sweet!

I was doing something similar, with an almost identical tabbed layout in JavaFX. Yours is much nicer :smile:

I do a lot of Gradle scripting - if you'd like some help getting the build IDE independent and more portable, let me know.

I also did the tips to get a native OS X app - it's going to drive the guys at work nuts!

The project should be on github, soon. Then contributions will be easy to make. I hope we can get a top notch app together as a team.

Unfortunately at the moment there isn't any command (at least no one has found a command) to operate the seat heaters. If there is one, it should be easy to add.

- - - Updated - - -

No, that's a bug. If you're not seeing it auto-refresh that may be 2 bugs! I'll look into it.

Thanks for pointing this out.

I updated my post... when I hit refresh on v0.14 the map reverts back to Map mode. (i.e. doesn't stay on Satellite mode)