Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

There were 5,150 deliveries in Q2 2013 Does that include the sale of Model S loaners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Benz

Nov 15, 2012
Netherlands
There were 5,150 deliveries in Q2 2013. Does that include the sale of Model S loaners?

The Model S loaners actually do have some miles on the meter when they get sold, so they can be considered as not being completely new. But would they therefore not be included in the total figure of deliveries (5,150) in a certain quarter?

The reason that I am asking this question is that in the Q2 Shareholder Letter they mention:
"During Q2, we improved our production rate by 25% from 400 to almost 500 vehicles per week. 5,150 cars were delivered during the quarter, significantly surpassing our expectation of 4,500 deliveries. In the quarter, we produced several hundred more Model S vehicles for use as service loaners, for customer test drives and for deliveries to European customers in Q3."

What I understand from this quote is that they produced several hundred Model S vehicles more than 5,150. Let's say that they produced 300 more. And a part of those 300 (let's say 100) were produced to be used as service loaners.

And we know that the service loaners do get sold as well.

I think it's an interesting question. Maybe someone can answer this question. Just post your thoughts about this. Thanks.

I'm assuming that service loaners are considered "new" cars even though they have some miles on them since they have never been titled. The buyer gets all the federal and state tax benefits of buying a new car.

Even "new" cars have a few dozen miles on them from the burn in process.

I'm assuming that service loaners are considered "new" cars even though they have some miles on them since they have never been titled. The buyer gets all the federal and state tax benefits of buying a new car.

Even "new" cars have a few dozen miles on them from the burn in process.

This is correct. Prior to the model S, I regularly purchased dealership demo cars because they tended to be available when I wanted one, and they were typically given good care. They were always better deals than I could get as an employee of GM or one of its suppliers.