Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Protection in Charlotte area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, Joe @ Orinda Auto Detail just finished working on my multi-coat red (3 months old) on Saturday. Took him a day-and-a-half on what I thought was a pretty good paint finish to prep it and apply OptiCoat Pro to everything (including wheels-he dismounts them to do the back sides, all plastic and all glass--different products). It turns out that there were lots of small rubs and scratches. The car now looks truly fabulous, and I know that I now have a thick 'clear coat' to protect the otherwise very soft environmentally friendly low VOC CA compliant paint. The time involved is to properly 'perfect' the finish without removing lots of clear coat/paint. More polishing is not better, especially if you (or your 'professional') does not know what he/she is doing. I am not a paid shill, just a very happy customer. He is not cheap ($350 for full detail and prep, $300 for complete OptiCoat Pro on everything), but given the cost of my investment and the length of time I plan to drive it, I consider it good value. Side note--at any one time he has 3 Model S in his shop for him to attend to (in the East Bay of SF). He maybe has worked on 60+ Model S. And he is very willing to find you a colleague in your geographic area (if he can). Check out this post on the TM site:

Tesla Model S full correction and Opti Coat by Orinda Auto Detail | Forums | Tesla Motors

Thanks everyone for the advice! Now my question is - which is better Opti Coat or Xpel Paint Film? In this thread someone makes the comment:

"a coating like Opti-Guard applied to the clear coat. Not as tough as paint film, but harder than the factory clear."

Thinking about doing without the paint armor. | Forums | Tesla Motors

So I am assuming the Xpel is tougher than the Opti Coat? Also, here there is a guy who did Xpel on his black Model S and says he loves it

Model S Exterior: Paint Armor - Page 35

So far from what I am reading it sounds like Xpel is the way to go...

Last edited:
After months of kicking tires, debating, and perusing through this site, I finally ordered my "baby" which will be delivered next week. Were you able to find a good (reputable) installer for XPEL in Charlotte?

I had mine done at Pro Tint in Kannapolis, just north of the speedway. Full wrap in Xpel Ultimate and tinted the windows with PhotoSync 45. Nice guys and they did a good job.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought I would continue the conversation here rather than start a separate thread. How has Pro Tint's installation held up? Kannapolis is not far at all, though I see they have a location near Uptown as well (much closer to me). That said, I will cast the web wider - any other recommendations for installers in the area? Personally, I am thinking of doing XPEL Ultimate + OptiCoat or cQuartz, but it would depend on the overall cost. I would also be looking into a ceramic tint. Thanks in advance everyone!

I still have done nothing for my MC Red P85D but want to do something soon. I will be in Charlotte soon with my car so I wonder about ProTint for Xpel Ultimate + OptiCoat Pro. I find it hard to decide. Cyclone, when you decide please let me know by PM or post. I am debating about following your lead and doing this in Charlotte.

Mine gets a bit complicated. I am buying a CPO car that came with factory Paint Armor. I probably will want to bring it in to someone to see if it has already gotten OptiCoat or just do a general assessment of 2 year old paint and tint options - with the possibility that it has already been done.