Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Specifications, Teases and Leaks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
Over here, Ze’ev wrote:
## "...the Model S..." “…a base price of about $60,000 and get about 240 miles per charge…”

Is it really 240 miles per charge for $60K now?
Many articles have been showing 160 mile range estimates for the $60K base ‘S’…
For example, From AutoBlog, & AutoBlogGreen:
“…The base model is expected to get a 160-mile range for it's $60,000 base price, while 220- or 300-mile options will cost extra..."

Note - I posted the above question to Tesla's blog and after a few days of 'awaiting moderation', they just deleted it.

I suppose we will have to wait and see if they do offer 240 miles range for $60K, but it seems for now they are not going to clarify.

Although they removed my post asking about the 160 vs 240 discrepancy they seem to be allowing other posts to echo the 240 mile number. For instance:

# Richard C wrote on September 18th, 2008 at 1:25 am
## ... I can’t wait to see the first Model S’s coming off the line in two years.
## ... At $60,000 that’s still squarely in the luxury range...
## ... With a 240-mile range and probably a Roadster-like recharge time...

So I guess all we can do is assume the 240 mile range is the most current projection and ignore all the older articles that said either 225 mile or 160 mile range. We should also ignore all the old articles that said it would have a 'range extender' device.

Was this article the source of confusion?
"...Tesla plans to have its Model S five-seat electric hatchback on sale by 2010 in both the United States and Europe. It will be priced at around $60,000 (£31,800) with a 160-mile range and $68,000 (£36,000) with a 220-mile range, with a 300-mile version to follow..."

Or this?:
"...Three models are likely to be available; an entry-level $60,000 (£31k) version with a 160-mile range, a $68,000 (£36k) version with a 220-mile range and a 300-mile version in the future...."

Riverwired echos Autocar:
"...According to Autocar, a U.K. site, there will be three models of the S available: a 160-mile range for $60,000; a 220-mile range for $68,000; and a future 300-mile range version that hasn’t had a price pinned on it yet.."

Bizarre auto-translation at MasterDrive.org:
"...Three models are in a fair way to require being serviceable; an entry-level $60,000 (£31k) rendering by a 160-mile pass near, a $68,000 (£36k) reading with a 220-mile extent and a 300-mile version in the that demise have being..."

Nabble.com:
"...there may be three models:
1) $60,000 with a 160-mile range
2) $68,000 with a 220-mile range
3) To Be Priced 300-mile version..."

Wikipedia says this:
"...WhiteStar, will be a sedan known as the Model S. It will cost approximately $60,000 and have a range of 225 miles (362 km) per charge...."

Last edited:
One annoying thing about all these automotive startups, including Tesla, is that the "truth" seems to be rather flexible. It's really "what's true today".

Model S is still a long way from production; everything we've seen or heard to date have simple been "goals".

If the Tesla Roadster is any indication, the true specifications of the vehicle may not be known until months after production begins!

-Ryan

I haven't done even close as much research as you TEG but I'm glad more people are picking up on this. If they do end up with a 240 range and $60 000 price I can always hope for a European version with 160miles range and $50 000 price right ? I can hope can't I? I suppose as Kardax says we wont know for sure until after they're sold.

Cobos

I think the confusion stems from the typical marketing doublespeak. The statement, "220 mile range" is made in close proximity to the statement, "$60K base price." The statements on their own may be true, but together they are misleading. The same thing happened with the statements, "3.5 hour charging time." and "Can be charged from a standard outlet."

If true (intentional doublespeak) then that is rather annoying. It sets expectations wrong.

I see this same sort of thing with many computer web cams. They advertise "30 frames per second AND HDTV resolution", but you find that the 30fps is for low resolution video and the HDTV is basically for still capture only.

A story about Intentional Ambiguity... Product spec announcements shouldn't be trying to convey "humor and irony".

I suppose your primary recourse is to stop buying products from companies that try to mislead you, and gravitate towards companies that offer straightforward marketing.

Tesla Model S: 2011 Tesla Model S Electric Sedan To Be Produced In Silicon Valley
"...Priced around $60,000, capable of 240 miles on a single charge and producing no emissions, the Tesla Model S sedan will begin rolling off its new assembly line in California in late 2010..."

Tesla Motors - Press Releases
"...It is expected to have a base price of about $60,000 and get about 240 miles per charge with exceptional performance. The first sedans will likely roll off the assembly line in late 2010..."

Car news | Tesla Model S | Tesla expands electric vehicle range | by The Car Enthusiast
"...Tesla's next project is a zero-emission saloon known as Model S. The goals are to provide space for five people and a range of about 240 miles per charge with "exceptional performance". Expect the price to be in the region of $60,000 when production starts in late 2010..."

Tesla Model S Will be Built in the US ~ Hybrid Car Review
"...If you're interested in the Model S, it's projected to cost $60,000. Tesla says you will be able to travel 240 miles per charge..."

(How many ways can they say 240 miles per charge and $60K in the same context?)

Does that put an end to the 3 model S range variations? 240 miles is a decent range. I'd like to know about the projected range for a DPTKD (driver, passenger, two kids, dog) loaded vehicle. :biggrin:

Does that put an end to the 3 model S range variations?

Still unclear - I thought the press release was clear - but people keep warning me that press releases sometimes talk about multiple model variants as if they were the same thing. For instance, quoting the price of a base model in the same sentence as features of the premium model.

cum grano salis

Still unclear - I thought the press release was clear - but people keep warning me that press releases sometimes talk about multiple model variants as if they were the same thing.

Thanks TEG. TM seems to be taking a prudent approach before releasing photos and full details of model S. The SF Chronicle article link on the TM site has no mention of range. It's a good strategy to silence critics later.

Perhaps model S will be rolled out along with taking reservations. I often check out the "Reserve" tab to see if model S reservations are being taken.

Perhaps model S will be rolled out along with taking reservations. I often check out the "Reserve" tab to see if model S reservations are being taken.

Tesla has said a few times before that current Roadster owners will have first dibs at reserving a Model S. So I assume (possibly bad assumption) that owners will hear about it before they update the Reserve tab. But maybe it just means current owners get sorted to the top of the queue when they open up reservations.

One would think TM unveils Model S with much fanfare. Assuming the first year model run is 10,000 units and also assuming < 20% Roadster owners are interested in a Model S, we should be able to secure one. Do you know if there will be signature versions?

Batteries are still expensive, however. To deliver the Model S at the expected $60,000, Tesla plans to offer a 165-mile range, then charge premiums for batteries with 230-mile and 300-mile ranges, Musk said.

This is more in line with what we first heard about the Model S, and seems much more feasible/likely than the $60,000 gets you 240 miles.

Shame on the Tesla upper management for intentionally distorting this in the press releases, and shame on most of the media for not clarifying.

Assuming this report is accurate, the price per range today is not unreasonable. I hope they can get the Model S out the door quickly. I worry that the current "Mid-2011" date will end up really being late 2011, or early 2012. The longer it takes to come out the less viable this price per range will become as competition comes available. Slipping Model S is probably also slipping Bluestar, both of which need to be a success for Tesla to survive.

Last edited: