Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster at the Oscars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you are an "A" list celebrity.

It's time to go to the Oscars. Your image is everything.

There is a Tesla Roadster sitting there looking all sexy and cool.

As lucious as it is, you could pick one up for a week (or less) of a paycheck on one of your feature films.

Then someone guides you away from that beauty over to one of the electric "punishment cars"...

ouch

DDB said:
330 celebrities who bought one?  Is that number correct?  I didn't know that many celebs could afford a $92K car.
I'm sure that many celebs could afford the car, but I think the number is a little confused. On the Tesla Motors blog, the moderator recently mentioned that "more than 330" Roadsters have been reserved. I think that's in total, and not all of those people are what we'd call celebrities. Though, they may be well known within their own circles.

Also another article on the same topic mentioned that Global Green USA had 30 Tesla prototypes to shuttle celebs to the Oscars. That got my attention because as far as I knew there were still only the 2 cars in the US. But it looks like that was also a mixup. It was 30 cars total that Global Green had. I'm guessing that was a variety of cars and only the 1 red Tesla.

Oscar Mystery Solved?

Way back in February there was a lot of press reporting on Global Green and how they were going to bring stars to the Oscars in eco-friendly cars. The Tesla Roadster was there and was widely regarded as the car to be seen in. Everybody wanted to know who was going to be the lucky celebrity to arrive in it.

After the event. . . Nothing. There was no reporting, no mention of it. All I ever saw was a cryptic remark from Darryl Siry -- he said nobody had ridden in the Roadster after all, and the reason would be explained in a future blog on the Tesla website.

Thus far, no such blog has been posted.

Recently I heard the first plausible explanation for what went wrong. My understanding is that nobody wanted to be seen arriving without their date, as the Roadster's sole passenger. (A Tesla employee would be driving, of course.) Who you arrive with is more important than what you arrive in, and arriving by yourself was a non-starter, socially speaking.

I'm sure we'll see the Roadster at some future ceremonies -- after some celebs have had a chance to get their own Roadsters and thus be able to arrive together with their dates.

Ah... The mysteries. Was that really it? Could the Roadster have had technical difficulties?

Also, the drive to Tahoe had a nice Hyatt mention with the SF mayor, but I didn't hear what happened in Sacramento... I think they must have been hoping for some big name politicians to come out in support there, but I have yet to find any write up about how things went in Sacramento that day.

Last edited:
Crunch Time

The pace of information from Tesla has slowed quite a bit recently. I think that's understandable. . . They are slated to begin manufacturing Roadsters -- not prototypes, but cars for actual buyers -- within about three weeks, as I understand.

I can just imagine how hectic things must be.

"Who you arrive with is more important than what you arrive in, and arriving by yourself was a non-starter, socially speaking."

I only half-buy this.

I have not yet been to the Oscars but I can imagine that a big star like Dennis Haysbert Dennis Haysbert - Biography or another green actor who does not have a "celebrity" wife or husband might want to make the visual statement by arriving in the Roadster.

That said, if it was me, if my wife would agreed to such a scheme I know she had better be in the car right behind mine or I'm sure it will be no dice.

ABC News: Celebs Go Green at Pre-Oscar Gala
"The celebrities all arrived to the party in a green car. The hottest new green car is the Tesla, an electric car that has zero emissions and goes from zero to 60 in less than four seconds."

Global Green
"Test drive the Green Cars going to the Oscars including the Tesla Roadster, plug-in Hybrids, Compressed Natural Gas Vehicles and more."

GMA Weatherman Touts Celebrities at Green Party: 'If There's No Nature, There's No Us'
Sam Champion: "Now, all the celebs got to this green party in a green car. None of them are hotter though then this Tesla: All electric, that means zero emissions, and, believe it or not, zero to 60 in under four seconds. No gas guzzling limousines here, only the latest green machines."

Who Rode in the Tesla Roadster Oscar Night? | the IDT Energy Blog
"After spending hours on the web trying to figure out which celebrity got to ride in the Tesla Roadster Oscar night, I was relieved to see that my inability to find the answer was not a function of my searching skills – evidently there is scant reporting on green vehicles from the red carpet."

Oscar Auto Beat: Which Green Wheels Hit The Red Carpet? | ecorazzi.com :: the latest in green gossip
"The Tesla Roadster: We’re still not sure who had the privilege of riding in this vehicle."

tesla-roadster-at-ocsars.jpg

autos_content_landing_pages-860580146-1172180805.jpg

Tesla Roadster at the Ocsars - AutoblogGreen
"I saw the reference to 30 roadsters doing drop offs. Not true - there was not a single one! I'll tell the complete story in a blog on the tesla site in the near future. Posted at 5:49PM on Feb 26th 2007 by siry"

So Daryl said "there was not a single one" (at the Oscars). So did celebs not ride in one because there wasn't one there, or did they not bother to show up because they decided no one wanted to ride in it? I find it hard to believe that they would have no takers. Also, if they went to the trouble of planning to be there, announcing they would be there, and apparently having a car there beforehand, then why back out at the last minute?

Wild theory: fender bender in the parking lot?

It’s The Year of the Car at the Oscars - The Car Connection

The Driving Woman - Green Vehicles Drive Oscars

Last edited by a moderator:
"I find it hard to believe that they would have no takers."

Exactly. What about the Celebrity singles due to recent breakups.

And even weeding out just the Green folks, there are thousands of attendies that at only celebrities in their disiplines like hair, wardrobe, makeup, sound, editing etc, etc... Were they denied?

It is hard to believe there would be no takers. If Ed Bagley Jr. was invited, I could just see him tooling up to the red carpet on a bike with Rachelle in the Roadster behind him yelling, "Get off the road!"

I know! Green Peace activists saw the hot red sports car and spray painted it. Nah, that would have made great press.

With the Academy Awards show tonight I thought it might be worth revisiting the red carpet debut of the Tesla Roadster. Would Elon lend P1 to George Clooney?

There are at least a dozen cars avalible in California and a few of them have been driven without a Tesla babysitter. Perhaps there could be multiple Roadster's put into Valet mode at the drive up.

GM and BMW have both stepped up the greening of the show this 2008 year Cameron Diaz to skip Tahoe hybrid, arrive at Oscars in BMW H7 - AutoblogGreen

All or nearly all of the 600 cars should be in the hands of owners by next year's Oscars. A single car this year will get more press than dozens next year but coverage both years would not be bad either.

Notice on the "Global Green pre-Oscar party" one of the "Event Co-Chairs" was Elon Musk...

This video (at the end) shows the Aptera on display.

From this press release:
"The party featured the latest in green automobiles, including the Tesla Roadster electric vehicle and the Fisker Karma hybrid electric, as well as cutting edge green home products and design. The event also kicks-off Global Green’s Red Carpet/Green Cars campaign, where celebrities arrive at the Oscars in fuel-efficient vehicles instead of gas-guzzling limousines.

Last edited:
SUVs are, have always been, and will always be lame. In all but the most narrow of circumstances, they are more dangerous, carry less, and are less efficient than a station wagon or sedan. Let's ignore everything we know about center of gravity, weight, and space to create a compensating-for-something vehicle - oh, and so you can feel good about yourself, we'll put hybrid junk in it so it'll get half the mileage of a good wagon instead of just a third.

Greenwashing sucks.