Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Animated Anthropomorphic Anthracite

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is worth noting that the TVA has recently tripled spill estimate to 5.4M cubic yards of coal ash...that's over 1 billion gallons...Again, the Exxon spill was only 11 million. This is now being considered as one of the, if not the, worst environmental disaster of it's kind in the US.

www.tennessean.com | Nashville Get Informed | The Tennessean

p.s. Given the recent (for lack of a better word) animosity that I've encountered from certain member(s), I am curious just how relevant my contribution to this thread is considered to the subject at hand"?"

phpThumb.php

Coal's latest campaign is The Faces Of Coal As you can see, "FACES" is the "Federation for American Coal, Energy and Security".

It's a supposedly grass roots organization with pictures of it's members doing things that people do because Coal makes them safe and secure.

Grist
The “faces” shown on the group’s website include a smiling flower vender, a child playing golf, a family with a baby, and a grandmother waving an American flag. Shockingly, no coal miners, residents of homes destroyed by mountaintop-removal mining, or asthmatic children are featured.

FACES says it’s an “an alliance of people from all walks of life” united by their belief in the importance of coal. “In addition to keeping tens of thousands of people employed in good-paying jobs, coal is the lifeblood of our domestic energy supply, generating half the electricity consumed in the United States today,” says its website.

3861189780_5f8d6cdca7.jpg

Turns out the pictures are stock photos. Like this one from IStock Photos
20090827-faces-istockphoto-comparison.jpg

Lots of good digging done:
Who are the faces behind FACES of Coal? | Grist
Daily Kos: FACES of Coal are iStockPhotos?!
I liked that
This is prohibited:

Use that depicts personal endorsement by model

See here.

They are operating on a fine line here. I think I'll let the owners of the images know and they can decide if the images are being used correctly.
http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/2009/08/27/faces-of-adfero/
Outed! FACES of Coal Are Just Stock Photos : TreeHugger

I suppose next we will hear from a least one of the models speaking out against Coal.

Last edited:
company told to stop using Dr. Seuss' 'Lorax' in name

Coal Company tries to be cute.

resized_LoraxCover.jpg

Mass. company told to stop using Dr. Seuss' 'Lorax' in name

LoraxAG is developing a "shovel-ready" coal gasification and chemical production facility to make fertilizer ...
Dr. Seuss Enterprises doesn't like it. They've sent the company a cease-and-desist letter demanding the stop using the name.
Don't bother visiting the Deadsite.

Last edited:
Get 'em young!

Definitely worth the listen:
Living on Earth: Coal in the Classroom

The American Coal Foundation paid Scholastic to help produce and place in classrooms maps and worksheets called the “United States of Energy.” At first glance, it looks like an exploration of all sources of electricity. But much of the information comes from the National Mining Association, a coal-lobbying group. And these exercises for children subtly emphasize coal’s benefits.
transgreening%20earth.jpg
1px.gif

The 1991 video, paid for by coal burning electric companies, claims, “Our planet is deficient in CO2, and a doubling of atmospheric CO2 concentrations would be very beneficial.” (CEDAR Program)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnDgQfCSCcs

Last edited by a moderator: