Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apostrophies's in URLs make them unviewable in WinRT8.1 and WP7.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, works this morning. Last night I tried replacing it several ways and noticed when it worked this morning it was replaced with a dash.

Microsoft always screwing stuff up.

I noticed that that wasn't a standard apostrophe in that thread you linked, so I replaced it. Curious if it works now.

Was driving me crazy as I couldn't read this thread: sleepyhead’s Q2 Earnings Preview

on my Surface RT 8.1 and WP 7.5

Had to go to my trusty Netbook running rock solid Win7 and full IE10

That sucks. It's not an apostrophe that sleepy put there, but an accent (in French it's called "accent aigu" [´] as opposed to the "accent grave" [`] which goes the other way). These accents are not supposed to be by themselves, they go over wowels, such as é and è for example. I've seen many native English speakers use accents instead of apostrophes for writing "it`s" or "John`s" when it should be it's and John's. Why is that?

That sucks. It's not an apostrophe that sleepy put there, but an accent (in French it's called "accent aigu" [´] as opposed to the "accent grave" [`] which goes the other way). These accents are not supposed to be by themselves, they go over wowels, such as é and è for example. I've seen many native English speakers use accents instead of apostrophes for writing "it`s" or "John`s" when it should be it's and John's. Why is that?
My somewhat educated guess is that it's because keyboard layouts have this as an easily reachable key and it's visually difficult to distinguish so it's often typo'd. For example, on my good old en-us keyboard it's easier to hit than the ~ key (it's the unshifted value for that keystroke).