Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Experience with Plugshare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ibcs

Jan 31, 2010
Ohio
On Sunday about 5 PM, I received a call from a fellow Tesla owner inquiring about using our HPWC. I said sure and Doug said he was traveling with his wife and two daughters. I was ecstatic with excitement at this was the first time someone ever called about using our charger. With anticipation, we waited for them to arrive and they came from Detroit, MI to Englewood, Ohio about 200+ miles. Doug arrived with 1 mile to spare on his Tesla 60 kWh Battery. They had found a public charger 60 miles North of us (30 Amp - 208 volts), but it would have required all night to charge and they wanted to get a little closer to home in Atlanta. After shaking hands and getting his car on charge, I offered to take them to a local restaurant to relax.

Of course, they asked if we had supper and welcomed us to join them. Doug and I are both are software developers, both enjoy Tesla beyond words and talked non-stop over dinner. Doug's wife was a little timid at first never meeting us before. My wife and Doug's compared notes on what it's like to be married to a software developer. I'm not sure that was great for either of us, but they both had a great time as well. My daughter and Doug's daughters just laughed at how nerdy their dad's were being talking Tesla and computers.

These meetings will not happen once the Superchargers are rolled out at least not to the same extent. If you enjoy meeting other Tesla owners I strongly encourage you to sign up for Plugshare and help out fellow travelers. They left with 200 miles of charge on their way to Lexington for the night before returning home in Atlanta.

It was a great experience! By the way, thanks for dinner Doug had a great time meeting you and your family.

Charlene and I live north of Wenatchee and have a Tesla HPWC (80A) and an NEMA 14-50 outlet listed on Plugshare. We have had one Model S driver arrange a charge, we hope more will.

100thMonkey: where in the "Seattle Area" are you? Did not figure it out from searching on PlugShare.

Do you have dual on-board chargers? At what kW rate will the CS-100 recharge a P85 with a single on-board charger?

A single on-board charger will max out at 40A (10 kW), no matter what it is plugged in.

Twin chargers give you double (80A, 20kW).

This does not apply to DC fast chargers like chademo (adapter required) or Tesla superchargers, which bypass the on-board chargers entirely.

Plugshare is a really great resource. Two stories about funerals:

One of my best friends from grad school died unexpectedly and suddenly last year, so of course I was going to go to his funeral, held near DC. The Supercharger network was still tenuous -- as in, there were exactly two locations on I-95, at Milford CT and Newark DE, but I decided to drive anyway, figuring that it was only 105 miles from Newark to Arlington VA. What with all the driving around to friends' houses and fighting Beltway traffic, though, I wasn't happy about the state of charge. I looked on Plugshare and found that there was a Model S owner with an HPWC about half a mile from the church where the service was to be held. Great gentleman, not only provided charging but also ferried me over to the church. The four hours there added more than enough range to get back to Newark.

Just this week, I got a call from a Model S owner. He was coming up from the Philly area to East Boothbay, ME for his mother's memorial service. He had used a lot more charge than he had anticipated getting past Boston; could he charge here during the service? Of course! We started chatting about how long it would take to get from my place in South Bristol to East Boothbay, and I joked that it was 45 minutes by car but 10 minutes by boat. It turns out that his family has a small flotilla in East Boothbay, so one came over to my dock, picked him up, and then returned him after the service. Multi-modal travel!

Plugshare is great.

We started chatting about how long it would take to get from my place in South Bristol to East Boothbay, and I joked that it was 45 minutes by car but 10 minutes by boat.

I forgot how long/deep those bays are between Brunswick and Rockland. A picture is worth 1000 words:

East-Boothbay2South-Bristol.jpg

30+ miles by car, 1/2 mile by boat :smile:

Oh, that's easy. We promise things that we never actually deliver, we're always late, we do tons of new things that you don't care about, and we never actually fix the obvious problems that really annoy you, no matter how many times you mention them.
Pretty accurate, though perhaps more from the perspective of the client than reality. We're usually smart enough not to make promises, but dumb enough to give low estimates to people who take them as promises and occasionally turn it into a deadline.

It was through PlugShare that i found the 2 Model S owners in our remote area and got to exchange emails
and ideas that eventually took me 100 miles away to the showroom, cannot wait to order my S85D in Feb,
we have real winters here.

Terrible hijack:

Robert.Boston - I see how close you are to Wiscasset. An indelible part of my boyhood was passing through there on the way to my father's relatives further down east in Tenants Harbor - paying homage, always, to those great hulks, the so-called "Wiscasset Schooners" (the Hesper was one and I forget the name of the other).

How I cried 3-4 years ago when I took Jenny into Wiscasset to see the schooners.....and learned of their fate. Sometimes it's not good to have a sentimental streak.

/hijack

This is one of the main reasons why, despite not having a Model-S yet, I have a HPWC installed at my home. In total I would guess more than 20 different Tesla have come by to charge up and many have been by on multiple occasions. Sadly once the Whitehall, PA supercharger goes online in a month or so the charger will probably sit idle until my car arrives, if ever. Still to me it was worth the expense and I am glad I was able to bridge the gap for so many cars.