Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for some knowledge from the first Roadsters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lolachampcar

Nov 26, 2012
WPB Florida
I am considering a bike by a company called Mission Motors. They are integrating the inverter and motor in such a way as to use these elements for the charger as well. It is my understanding that Tesla did a similar thing on the first Roadster but moved away from this to a stand alone charger approach for later Roadsters and Model S.

Are there any technical types out there that can shine a light on why Tesla moved away from the integrated inverter/motor/charger approach? Did early Roadsters have a problem with charging?

Thanks Much,
Bill

I had a 1xx series Roadster. Never had any charging problems.

I put my down payment on it several years before that but don't remember anything about what you are referring to. But I'm not the best at remembering details.

I am considering a bike by a company called Mission Motors. They are integrating the inverter and motor in such a way as to use these elements for the charger as well. It is my understanding that Tesla did a similar thing on the first Roadster but moved away from this to a stand alone charger approach for later Roadsters and Model S.

Are there any technical types out there that can shine a light on why Tesla moved away from the integrated inverter/motor/charger approach? Did early Roadsters have a problem with charging?

Thanks Much,
Bill

This is why they switched:
"Before Tesla had developed the Roadster's proprietary powertrain, the company licensed AC Propulsion's EV Power System design and Reductive Charging patent which covers integration of the charging electronics with the inverter, thus reducing mass, complexity, and cost. "

Source:
Tesla Roadster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All 1.x's have this setup.

If I recall correctly, one drawback of the AC Propulsion "Reductive" charger was inefficiency. This lowered the mpge rating for the car. Mission Motors could be using a completely different circuit however.

GSP