Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is standard suspension spongier than the air? Can the suspension be tweaked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm driving around a P85 loaner with air suspension while my 60 with standard is getting some creaks and rattles looked at. There's no + on the badge, so I assume it's not a performance plus and doesn't have the stiffer suspension, stabilizer bars, etc. unless the badge is inaccurate). Previously I had noticed that my 60, in contrast to all the reviews about the car feeling like it was "on rails" as described in many reviews of the car, was actually a little soft and spongy in corners at speed and was not confidence-inspiring on, say, fast onramps or offramps.

I've noticed this P85 loaner a lot stiffer and better in corners at speed; it feels really good. Anybody know if the difference is due to the air suspension, or some hidden upgrade in the P85 compared to the 60, or something else? Or is something wrong with my 60? Is this something I can have the factory stiffen up or tweak?

I love the loaners, but it's making me wish I'd upgraded! :biggrin: It's... so fast.

The loaner has air suspension, my car has standard. I had assumed that air suspension was just the raising/lowering thing, not stiffness/performance. That bums me out - I absolutely would have paid an extra grand or two, or whatever the price of the upgrade was back then, to have the stiffer ride. Is the stiffness of standard suspension tweakable? I don't know much about cars, so I don't know if wanting stiffer suspension means "no, you need to rebuild your whole car" or "replace a bunch of components" or "go under the car and turn a knob".

The biggest advantage to the air suspension is the ability to raise the car for steep driveways and ramps. My P85 feels best when the air suspension drops to its lowest level, after the car has been going 55mph or faster for several minutes. This setting cannot be initiated manually. As I recall from my Ferrari days, a ride height difference of only 10mm can make a huge difference in handling.

The biggest advantage to the air suspension is the ability to raise the car for steep driveways and ramps. My P85 feels best when the air suspension drops to its lowest level, after the car has been going 55mph or faster for several minutes. This setting cannot be initiated manually. As I recall from my Ferrari days, a ride height difference of only 10mm can make a huge difference in handling.

In addition, I learned when I had a loaner with standard suspension (we have a Sig P85), that the ride height of the standard suspension is about equal to the air suspension on "High", not "Standard". Our service manager explained that the standard suspension's dampers require more vertical travel than those in the air suspension, so the ride height must increase. So the standard suspension pays a permanent drag and downforce penalty as well.

I drove 2 different P85. One with air, one without. I felt the one without air seemed to stay flatter through out the corners vs the air suspension. Granted its not as comfy. I have a p85+ and I would rank it P85+ then P85 no air, and then the P85. Might be also the difference in tires size or tires on the p85 than your 60 (21 vs 19's)?

I found the loaner P85 with coil suspension to be an extremely uncomfortable, harsh, bouncy, unstable ride -- going around corners is a banging and jolting experience where the car shakes back and forth and bounces up and down. I'd call that god-awful handling... Of course, the roads around here are more pothole than not. :wink: You really don't want a stiff suspsension when there are five-inch-deep ruts. Handling on manicured smooth roads may be a very different matter.

I found the loaner P85 with coil suspension to be an extremely uncomfortable, harsh, bouncy, unstable ride -- going around corners is a banging and jolting experience where the car shakes back and forth and bounces up and down. I'd call that god-awful handling... Of course, the roads around here are more pothole than not. :wink: You really don't want a stiff suspsension when there are five-inch-deep ruts. Handling on manicured smooth roads may be a very different matter.

I too MUCH preferred the ride of my S85/Air/21 to the P85/Spring/19 loaner I had for four days. Glad to get my Sig back!