Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saved by smart fortwo structure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr X

Jan 18, 2013
1 AU
Crashed and rolled down a 500m cliff, saved by the smart fortwo rigid structure. : cars

So, today i crashed on my 2007 smart fortwo grandstyle, the other guy hit my left-back wheel on a curve and my car flew down a cliff until stopping on some dense foliage.
The car spinned down a good 500m or more with me and a friend of mine in it. Was like 15/20 seconds of spinning and we were conscious the whole time.
To my surprise, when the car stopped, both me and my friend were left uninjured. (He has minor scratches from the glass roof breaking and i have a seatbelt friction burn on my left shoulder). But here's the thing, no broken bones, no head trauma, no deep cuts, nothing.
I realize that we both are incredibly lucky, but i never thought that that small car could take such punishment
The car remained in that egg shape the whole time, we rolled like a ball downhill, our seatbelts made sure that we weren't projected away from the car because the glass roof broke instantly. I am pretty sure that if i was driving some other car, we would be smashed inside it. I had to leave the car in there, because the only way to even leave the car was though the roof, that was broken and wide open.
Later will add pictures of the place when i had the crash, and maybe of the actual destroyed car when i can. The car is still there as i speak, trapped in dense foliage. Tomorrow will work on removing it, somehow.
And sorry about my english, it isn't my 1st language!
TLDR: Had a crash, car rolled 500m down a cliff with me in it, the rigid structure where the car is built around saved my life.

EDIT: Pictures! Smart crash - Imgur

held up very well, thats an old one too

also if you are one of those types of people that are so sure that the smart isnt a safe car then check out the threads in this section Accident - Smart Car of America Forums : Smart Car Forum

^^^
More at

Remember, this is an ~1800 lb. Smart ForTwo vs. a COMPACT (per EPA size classification) ~3500 lb. Merc C300. Typical mid-sized cars in the US are ~3000 to 3700 lbs. Even Civics are over 2500 lbs.

Average curb weight of recently sold light-vehicles in the US is a tad over 4000 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smart for two has a great safety cage. Only issue is that high G forces from lack of crush space result in horrific injuries to internal organs as a result of rapid deceleration. The heart can literally be torn from the aortic arch. The result is that there maybe no cabin penetration but you will perish any from high G force. In other words , you will look good in an open casket.