Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my MS 8 months early and saved $11,370

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an early adopter, I remember all the angst and impatience about the unknowns and the few early delivery problems back in the end of last year. I have always said it was still all very worth it after driving the car for a few days. I have not paid attention to pricing since delivery and after seeing the Studio Update thread, I went and review how much my car would cost now with the same options and I was blown away - my exact configuration would be $11,370 more. My price was $87,600. I did not include the delivery and prep as I assume that it did not change; I did not see the current delivery and prep price in the newly updated Studio.

Now this is all good for me as an owner, I just wonder if the price increase is even better for me as a shareholder :)

Hopefully, this is not too much painful for soon-to-be buyers.

I must say that the same thought crossed my mind this morning as I read the thread and reviewed my costs compared to todays. I'd been feeling a bit of early adopter remorse as I found out about all the new options and improvements being made, but I think Tesla has given all of us early adopters a nice perk by selling us the car substantially cheaper than the market obviously can bear. So that Signature Premium may not have been so great after all. (In my case up in BC, there was a real chance that the EV tax credit would evaporate as well...at least that was how i rationalized it).

Having said all that, I still want to retrofit the parking sensors :)

It is interesting that other all electric cars are cutting their pricing, and Tesla is increasing pricing, which means the 'market' can handle it because demand is so good.

I wonder if this also has something to do with 'normalizing' pricing world wide, now that Model S is shipping outside the US? When Elon was in EU a few months ago he did say that he would not make prices higher in some parts of the world "just because he could get more". He wanted to make prices reasonable and standard around the world.

As an early adopter, I remember all the angst and impatience about the unknowns and the few early delivery problems back in the end of last year. I have always said it was still all very worth it after driving the car for a few days. I have not paid attention to pricing since delivery and after seeing the Studio Update thread, I went and review how much my car would cost now with the same options and I was blown away - my exact configuration would be $11,370 more. My price was $87,600. I did not include the delivery and prep as I assume that it did not change; I did not see the current delivery and prep price in the newly updated Studio.

Now this is all good for me as an owner, I just wonder if the price increase is even better for me as a shareholder :)

Hopefully, this is not too much painful for soon-to-be buyers.

It is interesting that other all electric cars are cutting their pricing, and Tesla is increasing pricing, which means the 'market' can handle it because demand is so good.

I wonder if this also has something to do with 'normalizing' pricing world wide, now that Model S is shipping outside the US? When Elon was in EU a few months ago he did say that he would not make prices higher in some parts of the world "just because he could get more". He wanted to make prices reasonable and standard around the world.

I think the people who got the best bang for their buck would be the most recent P85+ owners, they're essentially getting the same car for almost $13k less. And, I'm sure Tesla will have a retrofit solution for options like Yacht floor, parking sensors, and software updates for things like the new sound system etc.

I think the people who got the best bang for their buck would be the most recent P85+ owners, they're essentially getting the same car for almost $13k less. And, I'm sure Tesla will have a retrofit solution for options like Yacht floor, parking sensors, and software updates for things like the new sound system etc.

Retrofit pricing for some of these items may be expensive enough to push the total cost of yesterday's prices into the same vein of today's pricing. And it may not be entirely complete (i.e. retrofitting the P85 to a P85+) I suspect we won't know for a couple of months.

I still would like to purchase a P85, but I will wait for the reviews/pics/vids on these new options/features first. I am glad I waited because I want to purchase the car with the features I am looking for. Plus, Tesla has made improvements over time that you just can't get from soft/firmware updates: better door handles, better/fixed roof. sturdier hood, better sealed lights, and probably other things we may never know about. Maybe it will get better with LTE/4G connectivity, adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection, lane departure warning, etc. IMHO, I think it really depends on what you need/want to have. Of course, there are others who advocate getting the experience now versus waiting for features, but to each their own.

However, I'm dismayed with the price increase. I'm sure this will help Tesla reach their 25% profit margin goal by the end of the year and they probably could afford the increases due to visibility and demand. However, it makes the car less compelling to the average consumer. Of course, the "average" consumer doesn't have that kind of money for this car (except, perhaps, when the 40KWh was available), but there are a few who have made great strides to purchase Car v2.0. It just became a bit more out-of-reach and they may now have to wait and see what GenIII will bring.

Retrofit pricing for some of these items may be expensive enough to push the total cost of yesterday's prices into the same vein of today's pricing. And it may not be entirely complete (i.e. retrofitting the P85 to a P85+) I suspect we won't know for a couple of months.

I still would like to purchase a P85, but I will wait for the reviews/pics/vids on these new options/features first. I am glad I waited because I want to purchase the car with the features I am looking for. Plus, Tesla has made improvements over time that you just can't get from soft/firmware updates: better door handles, better/fixed roof. sturdier hood, better sealed lights, and probably other things we may never know about. Maybe it will get better with LTE/4G connectivity, adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection, lane departure warning, etc. IMHO, I think it really depends on what you need/want to have. Of course, there are others who advocate getting the experience now versus waiting for features, but to each their own.

However, I'm dismayed with the price increase. I'm sure this will help Tesla reach their 25% profit margin goal by the end of the year and they probably could afford the increases due to visibility and demand. However, it makes the car less compelling to the average consumer. Of course, the "average" consumer doesn't have that kind of money for this car (except, perhaps, when the 40KWh was available), but there are a few who have made great strides to purchase Car v2.0. It just became a bit more out-of-reach and they may now have to wait and see what GenIII will bring.
You make excellent points. They must have determined that enough demand was there to offset any sales that won't happen because of the new price. Hope they are right.

Yea, noted it in another thread, but my P2810 delivered on 12/30 is now over $16000 more to buy with the same options. Not happy with some of the issues it's had, but given the choice of dealing with some minor things serviced under warranty or paying $16000 more....well, that's an easy choice.

Looks like $17,000 here (had been $7000 a few weeks ago), though that may include a few extras like better sound (don't know yet). Wow. Well, ok then. Here's hoping I don't have to replace my car anytime soon. :)

This is also quite the gift for all of us later on for resale value...

Kinda' happy that the long wait (3 years in my case) paid off in some sense (my "savings" are similar to Kipernicus's) but, I have to say that I'd not have bought this car at the price levels now.

I'm sort of sad that the Model S is quickly going out of reach of many 2x/3x-ers (i.e. folks who may potentially spend 2 or 3 times what they had ever spent on a car before). I'm one of those fortunate enough to have been able to afford a P85 if I really wanted to but, I consciously chose to save money while still satisfying the want; I was essentially a 2x-er.

This round of price increases has surely edged out a fair number of passionate Tesla supporters and prospective Model S buyers. Like Stevezzzz said on another thread, it may be a good day for TSLA stockholders (including myself) with better profit margins and all but, not a great day for (potential) consumers.

This round of price increases has surely edged out a fair number of passionate Tesla supporters and prospective Model S buyers. Like Stevezzzz said on another thread, it may be a good day for TSLA stockholders (including myself) with better profit margins and all but, not a great day for (potential) consumers.
I am (was) one of those potential consumers. Had been on the fence for a month about the decision to buy and these changes have pushed me off the fence. I will hopefully be able to snap up a lightly used MS next year or later when supply is available on the secondary market. I'm sure Tesla knew the result of these changes in terms of revenue and future sales/reservations but it seems to me that these sharp increases will scare away more then they attract.

As an early Signature purchaser I configured a very similar car today (non-perf, Piano black sig red and sig white interior vs. multicoat Red and tan) and noticed that my "signature tax" is down to $1,000! My car (all up including HPWC and delivery) was $101,200 and the new version is $100,200.

So its instructive to see that even the earliest adopters of Signature cars are close to 'break even' due to the recent price increases. Of course I have the sig Red and white leather (both of which I LOVE) as well as the pleasure and gas savings of driving it since December 2012.

All in all I am pretty pleased with what Tesla has done to protect our investment in these earlier cars.

If they will make the PDC available for a reasonable price in a few months as a retrofit I will be even more pleased!