Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my MS 8 months early and saved $11,370

Got my MS 8 months early and saved $11,370

As an early adopter, I remember all the angst and impatience about the unknowns and the few early delivery problems back in the end of last year. I have always said it was still all very worth it after driving the car for a few days. I have not paid attention to pricing since delivery and after seeing the Studio Update thread, I went and review how much my car would cost now with the same options and I was blown away - my exact configuration would be $11,370 more. My price was $87,600. I did not include the delivery and prep as I assume that it did not change; I did not see the current delivery and prep price in the newly updated Studio.

Now this is all good for me as an owner, I just wonder if the price increase is even better for me as a shareholder

Hopefully, this is not too much painful for soon-to-be buyers.

I must say that the same thought crossed my mind this morning as I read the thread and reviewed my costs compared to todays. I'd been feeling a bit of early adopter remorse as I found out about all the new options and improvements being made, but I think Tesla has given all of us early adopters a nice perk by selling us the car substantially cheaper than the market obviously can bear. So that Signature Premium may not have been so great after all. (In my case up in BC, there was a real chance that the EV tax credit would evaporate as well...at least that was how i rationalized it).

Having said all that, I still want to retrofit the parking sensors

Blog Entries
    It is interesting that other all electric cars are cutting their pricing, and Tesla is increasing pricing, which means the 'market' can handle it because demand is so good.

I wonder if this also has something to do with 'normalizing' pricing world wide, now that Model S is shipping outside the US? When Elon was in EU a few months ago he did say that he would not make prices higher in some parts of the world "just because he could get more". He wanted to make prices reasonable and standard around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Lau View Post
    As an early adopter, I remember all the angst and impatience about the unknowns and the few early delivery problems back in the end of last year. I have always said it was still all very worth it after driving the car for a few days. I have not paid attention to pricing since delivery and after seeing the Studio Update thread, I went and review how much my car would cost now with the same options and I was blown away - my exact configuration would be $11,370 more. My price was $87,600. I did not include the delivery and prep as I assume that it did not change; I did not see the current delivery and prep price in the newly updated Studio.

Now this is all good for me as an owner, I just wonder if the price increase is even better for me as a shareholder

Hopefully, this is not too much painful for soon-to-be buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by lorih View Post
    It is interesting that other all electric cars are cutting their pricing, and Tesla is increasing pricing, which means the 'market' can handle it because demand is so good.

I wonder if this also has something to do with 'normalizing' pricing world wide, now that Model S is shipping outside the US? When Elon was in EU a few months ago he did say that he would not make prices higher in some parts of the world "just because he could get more". He wanted to make prices reasonable and standard around the world.
    I think the people who got the best bang for their buck would be the most recent P85+ owners, they're essentially getting the same car for almost $13k less. And, I'm sure Tesla will have a retrofit solution for options like Yacht floor, parking sensors, and software updates for things like the new sound system etc.
    | Tesla Model S - P85+ | Black | Pano | 21" Grey Performance Plus Wheels | Performance Plus Package | Tech | Sound | Air Suspension | Parcel Shelf | Twin Chargers | HPWC | CF Spoiler | VIN# P16397 |Deposit 6/23/13 | Finalized 7/1/13 | Delivered! 7/29

Quote Originally Posted by Hussain View Post
    I think the people who got the best bang for their buck would be the most recent P85+ owners, they're essentially getting the same car for almost $13k less. And, I'm sure Tesla will have a retrofit solution for options like Yacht floor, parking sensors, and software updates for things like the new sound system etc.
    Retrofit pricing for some of these items may be expensive enough to push the total cost of yesterday's prices into the same vein of today's pricing. And it may not be entirely complete (i.e. retrofitting the P85 to a P85+) I suspect we won't know for a couple of months.

I still would like to purchase a P85, but I will wait for the reviews/pics/vids on these new options/features first. I am glad I waited because I want to purchase the car with the features I am looking for. Plus, Tesla has made improvements over time that you just can't get from soft/firmware updates: better door handles, better/fixed roof. sturdier hood, better sealed lights, and probably other things we may never know about. Maybe it will get better with LTE/4G connectivity, adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection, lane departure warning, etc. IMHO, I think it really depends on what you need/want to have. Of course, there are others who advocate getting the experience now versus waiting for features, but to each their own.

However, I'm dismayed with the price increase. I'm sure this will help Tesla reach their 25% profit margin goal by the end of the year and they probably could afford the increases due to visibility and demand. However, it makes the car less compelling to the average consumer. Of course, the "average" consumer doesn't have that kind of money for this car (except, perhaps, when the 40KWh was available), but there are a few who have made great strides to purchase Car v2.0. It just became a bit more out-of-reach and they may now have to wait and see what GenIII will bring.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    Retrofit pricing for some of these items may be expensive enough to push the total cost of yesterday's prices into the same vein of today's pricing. And it may not be entirely complete (i.e. retrofitting the P85 to a P85+) I suspect we won't know for a couple of months.

I still would like to purchase a P85, but I will wait for the reviews/pics/vids on these new options/features first. I am glad I waited because I want to purchase the car with the features I am looking for. Plus, Tesla has made improvements over time that you just can't get from soft/firmware updates: better door handles, better/fixed roof. sturdier hood, better sealed lights, and probably other things we may never know about. Maybe it will get better with LTE/4G connectivity, adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection, lane departure warning, etc. IMHO, I think it really depends on what you need/want to have. Of course, there are others who advocate getting the experience now versus waiting for features, but to each their own.

However, I'm dismayed with the price increase. I'm sure this will help Tesla reach their 25% profit margin goal by the end of the year and they probably could afford the increases due to visibility and demand. However, it makes the car less compelling to the average consumer. Of course, the "average" consumer doesn't have that kind of money for this car (except, perhaps, when the 40KWh was available), but there are a few who have made great strides to purchase Car v2.0. It just became a bit more out-of-reach and they may now have to wait and see what GenIII will bring.
    You make excellent points. They must have determined that enough demand was there to offset any sales that won't happen because of the new price. Hope they are right.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Quote Originally Posted by lorih View Post
    I wonder if this also has something to do with 'normalizing' pricing world wide, now that Model S is shipping outside the US?
    I think it's also one of many steps on the way to announcing Model X pricing.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Yea, noted it in another thread, but my P2810 delivered on 12/30 is now over $16000 more to buy with the same options. Not happy with some of the issues it's had, but given the choice of dealing with some minor things serviced under warranty or paying $16000 more....well, that's an easy choice.

Looks like $17,000 here (had been $7000 a few weeks ago), though that may include a few extras like better sound (don't know yet). Wow. Well, ok then. Here's hoping I don't have to replace my car anytime soon.

This is also quite the gift for all of us later on for resale value...
    Model S VIN 03278 1/17/13. P85, Black, Black leather, 21" greys, carbon trim, sound, tech, pano, jump seats.
    Model X Sig #1242 and regular #3801

Only 9320 saved here, even with the $2k free supercharging
    Surprised that they've bundled the HPWC with 2nd charger, as I certainly appreciated the ability to choose just the charger.
    Model S 60kWh, Catalina white, white roof, tan, obeche gloss, tech, 19", air suspension, twin chargers, supercharger access, rear jump seats, parcel shelf. VIN 3606

Thread Information