So I've had a reservation since May of 2012. My plan was to finalize my order in January of 2013, but my endeavor to purchase a home has taken FAR longer than I could of ever expected. So at the advice of my mortgage broker and real estate agent, I've held off finalizing the order as it would jeopardize my loan.
Since then, I've had to endure three price increases:
- February 2013: $2,500 price increase (announced in Dec, but didn't take effect for me until Feb)
- June 2013: $1,750 total price increase on the 21' rims & air suspension (which I tearfully removed from my config afterwards)
- August 2013: $3,800 total price increase on the individual options that I had selected for my order
So in all, I've had my price increased by $8,650 in as little as 6 months time. Here is a more detailed breakdown:
- $2,500 general price increase
- $1,000 increase for 21 inch rims (from $3,500 to $4,500)
- $750 increase for Air Suspension (from $1,500 to $2,250)
- $1,550 increase for sound package (from $950 to $2,500)
- $1,000 increase for Panoramic Roof (from $1,500 to $2,500)
- $1,000 increase for Premium Interior Lighting (was included with the Tech Package before)
- $500 increase for Fog Lights (was included with the Tech Package before)
- $250 decrease for Tech Package (from $3,750 to $3,500)
I think Tesla has a hot product, so I can't disagree with the increases (supply and demand). But being a man of modest means, I've had to cut back on options that I was willing to spring for not too long ago. I'm still going to buy the car, I've just had to tearfully remove the 21' rims, air suspension, and leather to keep within in my realm of affordability.
But I can't complain... out of curiosity, I calculated the increase for someone who wanted the Performance edition... Before August 1st, just about everything was included with the Performance edition. But now nothing's included!! So if you want the same options that were included prior to the 1st, it will cost you an extra $11,600 over what it would of cost you just 4 days ago. Ouch...
Here is the breakdown for the Performance edition:
- $2,500 for the performance leather (which was included before)
- $4,500 for the rims (which was included before)
- $1,500 for the spoiler (which was included before)
- $1,600 for the carbon fiber decor (which was included before)
- $1,500 for the alcantara headliner (which was included before
So I don't feel so bad since I wasn't going for the Performance edition anyway, lol