Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really need help cleaning screen and dusting the dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to really turn the screen off so that you can dust the dash and clean the screens? If not, there really needs to be a way. I use a high quality microfiber towel and any time i get any where near the screen, it registers a bunch of touches on the screen. And then I use a monitor wipe to clean the screens, same thing because its still sensing touches.

I read somewhere that there may be a fix to the static issue (establishing a proper ground behind the dash, done by service center). If so, I guess I look into that when I do take the car in for any service issues. Though this is beginning to be annoying enough to warrant it own trip. BUt that still wont address the screen touches when cleaning it.

The "Car Off" mode needs to really keep the car off unless the brake is pressed IMO.

I'm surprised this isnt a bigger issue for everyone else out there. The screen by nature gets lots of finger prints and dust, and requires frequent cleaning.

Or am I just missing something?

I'm surprised this isnt a bigger issue for everyone else out there. The screen by nature gets lots of finger prints and dust, and requires frequent cleaning.

Oddly, I've had no issue in this regard. I just use a small 4" x 4" or so microfiber cloth I got at Best Buy (meant for phones or tablets) and it works perfectly with no need to even fold over once. I've never seen false "touch" registers on the screen. I use something called a "California Dash Duster" to clean the dust off the top of the dash and other surfaces. Again, works perfectly and no problems with the screens.

Odly enough, I can clean my touchscreen at will with a folded over microfiber cloth and no issues whatsoever. BUT, god forbid I wipe the top of the dash in any location. If I do, the touchscreen freaks out and the seat heaters turn on, along with the front and rear defroster and the temp changes to something crazy hi or low. It appears to have a mind of it's own.

Any solution to cleaning the screen w/o turning it once the towel touches it? I tried looking through the settings, but can't find anyway to turn it off. I even tried taking my key and placing it inside the house, but the screen still turns on once it sense touch.

I have posted before but there is a very simple solution... just hold a fingertip at the halfway point on the left or right side and wipe away (I use a micro fiber cloth without any solution/spray and works great). The fingertip prevents anything else from occurring while you are wiping.