Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Web Browser Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not sure about the rest of you but the web browser is the worst crap ive ever used for a browser.

forget about google docs (froze so bad i had to hard reset the entire panel)
freezes on facebook
freezes on ingress intel map (this one is a little extreme but even my old galaxy nexus could render it without dying)
freezes on gmail
freezes on G+
i havent tried alot of sites becuase its too painful to browse

barely loads any store webfronts (bestbuy, futureshop, staples, etc, etc)
barely loads the teslamotors.com home page, forget about scrolling smoothly
cannot scroll on plug share
pinch to zoom is only zooming the page, but not zooming the map tiles on some pages

searching anything is slow and near useless, now, the CPU that powers the panel is a nVidia Tegra 3 most likely running at 1-1.3GHz, this is the same CPU running inside of the Microsoft Surface Rt and Asus Nexus 7, neither of those tablets have issues bringing up any of the web pages listed above, infact browsing on the Nexus 7 with chrome is fast and very usable.

however i understand this is more or less a first gen product, i guess tesla has alot of rework to do for a usable browser. i'm wondering if they couldn't just port chrome over, i understand the Os is just Linux, chrome is already available for any Os platform.

however i understand this is more or less a first gen product, i guess tesla has alot of rework to do for a usable browser. i'm wondering if they couldn't just port chrome over, i understand the Os is just Linux, chrome is already available for any Os platform.

The browser is WebKit, specifically a QtWebkit instance. I suspect they just grabbed a QWebView object and dropped it in without much additional work.
My feeling is that the browser is there for convenience, but it is not a high priority for them to improve much. There are certainly things much higher on my list that I'd hope they would get to before improving the browser. You may feel differently.

The browser is WebKit, specifically a QtWebkit instance. I suspect they just grabbed a QWebView object and dropped it in without much additional work.
My feeling is that the browser is there for convenience, but it is not a high priority for them to improve much. There are certainly things much higher on my list that I'd hope they would get to before improving the browser. You may feel differently.

I agree with both points of view here-- it is crap, the car deserves and I want and would use a better product, but it is not a priority, and I do not hold my breath on it being fixed.

I use my browser with fair results for gmail and finance.google.com. I have had to reboot several times when the browser becomes non-responsive. One tip: Don't try to do anything while a page is loading as indicated by the blue bar in the URL window. Also, the browser performs very poorly when cell phone signal is low. As one might expect.

A USB keyboard can make text input much easier. A USB mouse seems to do nothing.

I am THRILLED to have any browser!

With .61 my browser freezes and requires a display reboot with any popups.

I've found that the mobile versions of most sites have slightly more workable functionality.

Still haven't found a good solution for Gmail. Later I'll try "basic HTML" mode.

I hope they get around to the browser eventually. It's quite honestly, a mess.

That an the gross tiled Google Maps which need to be moved to vector, ASAP.

Tesla still has by far the best overall infotainment system, but it's not without its flaws.

I have faith that the Tegra 3 provides enough juice to bring decent performance when Tesla gets around to optimizing its software.

I agree with both points of view here-- it is crap, the car deserves and I want and would use a better product, but it is not a priority, and I do not hold my breath on it being fixed.

agreed with the lower priority, there are many more things that should be higher in the fix list. But when they do get around to it, i hope they will vastly improve the performance and functionality.

I've looked at the browser about three times in 10,000 miles not counting showing it at events (where it's just on the Tesla weather page). Work well or not is pretty much a non-issue.

Out of curiosity, does anyone even care there's a browser there? I never use it and would just as well it not be there at all.
Interesting. I usually have my iPad in the car when I know I will have some wait time, but today I forgot to bring it and was waiting for my wife who was at a medical appointment.

Preferred to use a dinky Android phone screen rather than the Tesla browser that is slow and hard to read with bi-vocals.

Not useless, but not terribly useful.