Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Station Vandalism - Downtown Phoenix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This really irks me. I was in downtown Phoenix tonight to head over to the local craft ale house. It happens to be across from the Ecotality/Blink offices. They have 3 charging stations there. I didn't need a charge, but figured I'd plug in because it was across the street from where I was going. Sadly, the 3 EVSE's in Ecotality/Blink's own lot were vandalized for copper!

Pics are below. I don't know the solution, but for $5 of copper wire, these charging stations are not functional at the moment.

null.jpg

null-1.jpg

This is one of the reasons I'm very happy with the Type 2 solution in Europe where you plug in your own cable. Makes the charging stations more robust.

Nevertheless a lame action for indeed $5 of copper.

This does look like it came off a station. The location is San Jose and the seller has good reputation. Was it perhaps the result of a swap? Blink reportedly would replace the cords due to thermal issues with the plug when charging at higher amperages.

Also the seller sells quite a bit of EV charge cables, including intact cables like J1772 to Menekes adapters that obviously wasn't cut off from a charger. So he's probably fine.

Sadly, this is a huge (and very dangerous) issue for us in the electric utility business. Once I actually caught a guy unbolting copper bus bars from transformers in our storage yard, but the more dangerous stuff happens when thieves injure or kill themselves trying to make off with live conductors.

What makes you think if you bring your own cable they wouldn't do the same thing? Then many would be even more upset. As many in the Phoenix area know, they recently hit a strip mall in uptown and shut down the entire place for 2 days. Instead of electricity, it was the water main pipes they took. I bring this up because its not just a charger/electricity problem.

Cities and States need to tighten up the punishment on these types of theft and vandalism. There also should be tighter controls around non-business selling of these items.

Instead of electricity, it was the water main pipes they took. I bring this up because its not just a charger/electricity problem.

I'll see your water main pipe and raise you transmission tower bracing (below) - South Africa.

In fact, in South Africa there was an incident in 2007 where a team was busy installing a row of towers for a new line, and 2 towers behind them, vandals were caught carrying away the newly installed transmission tower (they managed to dismantle the entire thing).

Line1.png
Line2.png

Sadly, this is a huge (and very dangerous) issue for us in the electric utility business. Once I actually caught a guy unbolting copper bus bars from transformers in our storage yard, but the more dangerous stuff happens when thieves injure or kill themselves trying to make off with live conductors.

This is a problem in Sweden as well. A lot of old churches for example had copper roofs and gutters. But hence not anymore…

However it’s been reported in the media that we have started using this system:

SmartwaterHome

…in Sweden. Apparently it’s been used in the UK, and quite successfully so, if I’ve understood it correctly…

But I’m guessing you’re familiar with it...

But if not: Here’s an English article about it:

DNA new 'protection' against copper thieves - The Local

And here’s a Swedish news article (translatable using Google for instance…) with some pictures:

Märkning av koppar för att stoppa stölder - Göteborg - www.gp.se

Also found this (guessing it’s a competitor…):

Copper Theft: How to prevent Copper Theft | SelectaDNA

I didn't hear about this until now. They removed all the stations at that Ecotality headquarters soon after this (per pictures online), but I assumed it was related to the bankruptcy. I'll be really pissed if this trend grows among copper thieves. Hopefully word doesn't get out about this source of copper. EV drivers could get royally screwed if plugs are randomly missing. It will also discourage the hosting businesses if it becomes a hassle to keep them safe and functioning.

I didn't hear about this until now. They removed all the stations at that Ecotality headquarters soon after this (per pictures online), but I assumed it was related to the bankruptcy. I'll be really pissed if this trend grows among copper thieves. Hopefully word doesn't get out about this source of copper. EV drivers could get royally screwed if plugs are randomly missing. It will also discourage the hosting businesses if it becomes a hassle to keep them safe and functioning.

Were those pictures on PlugShare with a red Volt in the background and a picture of the eviction notice? if so, I took and posted those pictures a few weeks ago.

Luckily, I haven't head of any other instances locally thus far and we have quite a few Blink (now CarCharging) EVSE's in the valley.