Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless front parking camera with monitor for front bumper protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: This original post has led to many changes and a major evolution of the idea into a kit that provides switching of front and rear views on the touch screen.

Not willing to punch holes in my front bumper and failing with electromagnetic sensors, I've been searching for other alternatives for front bumper parking protection. Today I found and ordered a wireless front facing camera and 7" color monitor from Tadi Brothers in Los Angeles. Don't know how well it will work but the folks at Tadi Brothers assured me the camera and monitor are of high quality and produce a very good image. The angle of view is 120 degrees. The camera needs a 12volt connection but is not wired to the monitor, which has a wireless receiver.

When I get this installed I'll post photos. Should take a week or two to get it installed.

Last edited:
Not willing to punch holes in my front bumper and failing with electromagnetic sensors, I've been searching for other alternatives for front bumper parking protection. Today I found and ordered a wireless front facing camera and 7" color monitor from Tadi Brothers in Los Angeles.

When I get this installed I'll post photos. Should take a week or two to get it installed.

I'm very much looking forward to hearing your results... this sounds like a cool solution and I would LOVE to have a front facing camera. Parking is a pain without any front sensors. I often get out of the car, check where I am, and get back in. Which looks entirely NOT cool :)

I'm very much looking forward to hearing your results... this sounds like a cool solution and I would LOVE to have a front facing camera. Parking is a pain without any front sensors. I often get out of the car, check where I am, and get back in. Which looks entirely NOT cool :)

Lol That is exactly what I do as I so concerned about scraping the front bumper...but 9 times out of 10 I am too lazy to pull it up further unless it is really far away.

artsci,
This is an awesome idea. I have a ton of questions regarding your thoughts:
Why go with a 7" monitor? Where would you mount such a beast?
Given that you only need it infrequently, couldn't you get away with a 3" monitor that can be a little more discrete?
Do you intend to have a switch so that it isn't running all the time?

artsci,
Given that you only need it infrequently, couldn't you get away with a 3" monitor that can be a little more discrete?

I have concerns about the 7" monitor and if I don't like it I can swap it for a 3.5" I'm going to make a mockup this weekend and fool around with possible locations. But you're probably right.

I'll set up a wireless remote switch to turn the system off and on.

When driving forward into parking spots, I use the rear camera and stop when I see the yellow parking lines in the image. That way I never get too close in the front. Not a bad alternative to backing in. I guess it would fail if the parking spot was a non standard (short) length.

Two tips on parking, sans a cool cam like artsci is putting in...

IF nosing in, and you have a curb in front, I can pull forward until the top of the curb is at the bottom of my outside left mirror. At that point I'm within 4 to 6" of the curb. This is of course is dependent on the height of the curb, my seat position and my personal body height (I'm 6.0). But with your personal settings this approach and awareness can be tailored.

I have a piece of tape on my garage floor, for when I want to back in. I know that when that tape mark touches the bottom of the rear camera view/window, I'm right at 6" inches from the actual tape. I use that same backing in rule for parking in the wild.

... Meanwhile, looking forward to the next cool thing Artsci is dropping in!

artsci,

I found another solution to the 7" monitor. After spending more time on the TadiBrothers web site I found they sell a rear view mirror with an embedded 7" LCD screen that works with the wireless camera. The device snaps on over the stock rearview mirror. The mirror has an on/off switch for the camera. I called in the nick of time to make the change before my order was shipped. This should be a very good solution.

I found another solution to the 7" monitor. After spending more time on the TadiBrothers web site I found they sell a rear view mirror with an embedded 7" LCD screen that works with the wireless camera. The device snaps on over the stock rearview mirror. The mirror has an on/off switch for the camera. I called in the nick of time to make the change before my order was shipped. This should be a very good solution.
Any chance you have a link?

@artsci

Wouldn't parking sensors be better than a camera for the front bumper

Ok I understand that in the USA you still don't have parking sensors unlike Europe, but I think it's only a matter of a few months and you will get parking sensors also in the USA.

@artsci

Wouldn't parking sensors be better than a camera for the front bumper

Ok I understand that in the USA you still don't have parking sensors unlike Europe, but I think it's only a matter of a few months and you will get parking sensors also in the USA.

Not for those of us who already have the car. It's not going to be an upgrade offered to existing owners, at least by Tesla. And I don't want parking sensors anyway. I like the idea of being able to see the obstacles not just hear a warning. The rear view camera has completely spoiled me.