Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Base $1,170 Price Increase 8/1/13 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the base price for the Model S has increased by $1,170. Pricing for base 60 is $63,570 and the 85 is now $88,570 (both prices before $7,500 credit).

Is this perhaps a sign that new features, other than software/map updates, are in the works? Maybe some of the parking sensors and heated seats may finally start appearing in the US? I'm optimistic that that is the case, instead of some sort of catch-up pricing due to misjudging maintenance/warranty work.

Looks like the base price for the Model S has increased by $1,170. Pricing for base 60 is $63,570 and the 85 is now $88,570 (both prices before $7,500 credit).

Is this perhaps a sign that new features, other than software/map updates, are in the works? Maybe some of the parking sensors and heated seats may finally start appearing in the US? I'm optimistic that that is the case, instead of some sort of catch-up pricing due to misjudging maintenance/warranty work.

Pretty sure that's just the delivery and doc prep fees.

Pretty sure that's just the delivery and doc prep fees.

That may be the case, but their website currently shows both prices. If you click on 'Options & Pricing' it shows the 60 as $62,400, but when you click on 'Order' it shows the $63,570 cash price.

Also, just heard from a friend of mine who was called yesterday by Tesla. He had place a deposit but had not ordered yet and they were asking for him to place a reservation to avoid the price increase.

Is adding delivery & doc fees to the base price a new practice? I had not read that and my apologies if it was already discussed on the forum.

Is adding delivery & doc fees to the base price a new practice? I had not read that and my apologies if it was already discussed on the forum.

It's not. They've always charged for that on top of the base price. From my MVPA:

Tesla Personal Delivery: $990
Final inspection, prep, and coordination: $180

There's actually no doc fee in that. There are also lines on the MVPA for "Vehicle License Fee", "Registration, Transfer, and Titling Fees", "California Tire Fee", and "Other", which are in addition to everything else. These are dependent on your locality.

Also, just heard from a friend of mine who was called yesterday by Tesla. He had place a deposit but had not ordered yet and they were asking for him to place a reservation to avoid the price increase.

That's probably this: On-Hold-quot-orders-subject-to-new-pricing-after-August-1st

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I added a question mark to the thread title. AFAIK there's no price increase but it looks like the delivery and prep fees.

That may be the case, but their website currently shows both prices. If you click on 'Options & Pricing' it shows the 60 as $62,400, but when you click on 'Order' it shows the $63,570 cash price.

Which is exactly what shows it isn't a price increase. "Options and Pricing" show the base price, but when you click order it adds in the other fees. These fees have been added on since Tesla first started selling the Model S.