Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My other car is a...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1940 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet

Lincoln8.jpg

This car could very well be one of the first Hot Rod Lincolns. It received a Cadillac V8 engine transplant in the sixties, replacing the finicky and underpowered Lincoln V12. It also got this snazzy two-tone paint job.

The Lincoln arrived in my home town of Lake Placid NY, brand new, in 1941. My dad was a lifeguard at the local beach at the time. He saw this car driving around town every summer for his entire adult life. In his late fifties, he announced at the dinner table that he was going to buy that Lincoln from the current owner's estate — the minute the guy died. The current owner was 87 at the time, so my dad figured that he wouldn't have to wait too long to snag it.

Well, that original owner lived to 104. By the time my dad got his chance, he was in his 70's and his eyesight was failing, but he bought the Lincoln anyway. He and I restored it together, and he got a lot of passenger seat time in it. He left the car to me twelve years ago.

DSC_5871SM.jpg

Arguably, two of the best looking American cars of all time.

What's your "other" car?

Last edited:
Great thread topic!

Your car is absolutely gorgeous. The Lincoln isn't bad either. :tongue: What a great story too. I am so happy that you had the opportunity to do this with your father.

My other car is a 1949 Buick Super. She was a partial barn find. Was left in a garage since 1983 where the original owner had her when he passed away. I had her shipped here to California in 2008 and immediately began a "rolling" restoration. I drove her around town for a couple of years, but only a few miles here and there. She was just too hard to drive . Over 4,000 lbs, massive wheels with no power steering and only about 100 hp. I threw my back out every time.

This picture makes her look much better than she actually did at the time. Underside was covered with rust, paint was awful (I took a can of black spray paint and covered a bunch of rusted areas as a temp hold). Chrome was pitted and shot. Seats/interior were hysterically torn apart. The hydraulic system was destroyed (for windows and top).

Buick.JPG

2 years ago, I had it. I just wanted to drive and enjoy her. I cared little about the original nature of the car. I full restoration would have been just as costly as a modification. I took her to begin a massive modifications. She should be completed in a matter of a few months.

When done, she will look very original still on the outside (the paint is not too flashy), but will be a beast inside.

So far, this is what I have:
  • 454 Chevy Big Block. Fully re-built with upgraded cam. Estimated 350 hp. Probably about 7 MPG (almost as good as my Tesla)
  • Lincoln Rack and Pinion Power Steering
  • Power Brakes
  • Bowtie 700R overdrive automatic transmission (was 3-on-the-tree)
  • All rust removed and freshly painted with late model Mercedes Metallic Grey (I took some of the sparkles out to make it less shiny)
  • Every piece of chrome and stainless refinished and polished

The following is in progress:
  • New red leather interior and rebuilding of seats and top.
  • Changing hydraulic windows to electric
  • Air conditioning
  • DVD/GPS with rear view camera (Sorry, no parking sensors). This is hidden behind the old radio grill.

IMG_1183.JPG

My Tesla comes August 12th. When the Buick is done, I will upload some side-by-side pictures as well.

2012 Nissan Leaf. we are gasless and loving it! the Leaf is decent but it's not our long term car like the S is. The Leaf has essentially no detectible battery capacity loss on a daily basis if left unplugged, which makes it a great car to park at the airport for my wife we she travels for work.

4SUPER9: This looks like a very cool project. These old cars deserve to have a new life and to be actually driven. Too many antiques get "perfect" restorations and then become trailer queens. Jay Leno would approve!

fiksegts: Two extraordinary cars you have there. Did you know that the MP-12C was used as a design target for the Model S Performance Plus suspension upgrade?

2006 Honda Odyssey minivan. If anyone wants me to post high resolution pictures, just let me know. :tongue:

Hey, my other is a 2005. I can also post if requested :)

Aside: As a perpetual civic driver after selling my 80s Celica for a home down payment, the Odyssey was the best ride I'd had for 20 years. Loved it. And then the Model S came. Really try to avoid driving the Odyssey now...

Do you own a gas car AND Model S?

How many of you own a gas car AND a Model S? Or do you just own a Model S?

I am debating whether to keep my gas-guzzling '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee or if I should keep it around for winter driving, camping, back-up vehicle, transporting heavy stuff, etc.

I have a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder as our other vehicle. It's paid for and I don't see an electric vehicle meeting it's capabilities anytime soon. I'd keep you jeep for towing and off road excursions.

For what it's worth.