Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acronyms for NOOBS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of us come from disciplines which have acronyms in common use. We succeed in alienating and/or disinforming people by using our "exclusive" language.

It might help NOOBS (this is my first post), if there was a posting of the meaning of acronyms:

SOC means? "standard of care" (I know that's not it)

UMC means? "unrealized manual candle" (ditto)

I hope that this is meaningful. Much of what I read is not meaningful, until I Google the acronyms used.

Just a thought.....

just off the top of my head, i could be wrong

SOC - State of Charge (high SOC is like 100% and most lithium batteries are stressed at max capacity which is why tesla recommends charging only what you need for daily driving)
UMC - Universal mobile connector (your travel adapter with the multiple ends)
HPWC - High powered wall connector (a permanent installed wall power cable that can supply 240v @ 80A or ~20kW)
Broder/brodering/brodered - a verb to describe the act of intentionally discharging the car until voltage cutoff and damaging your battery pack
ICE - Internal combustion engine
ICE'd - an internal combustion engine powered vehicle parking in an EV/Hybrid only parking spot
SC - Super charger, Tesla's high powered EVSE
EVSE - Electrical Vehicle Supply Equipment (public EV charging station)
EV - Electric Vehicle
P85 - Performance 85kW
HEV - Hybrid Electric Vehicle
BEV - Battery electric Vehicle
PHEV - Plugin Hybrid Electric Vehicle

• Helpful
Reactions: CWFLY
Welcome to the TMC.
"Tesla Motors Club"

Not to be confused with "TM", "Tesla Motors".

- - - Updated - - -

P85 - Performance 85kWh
"P85+ - Performance 85 kWh with the (new for 2013!) Plus Package"

- - - Updated - - -

EREV Extended Range Electric Vehicle
EVER = same as EREV

- - - Updated - - -

HPC High-Power Connector (a Tesla specific non-portable 240V EVSE)
HPWC High-Power Wall Connector (a Tesla specific non-portable 240V EVSE)
My understanding is that the former is the Roadster device and the latter is the Model S device. I don't know what they will call the Model X device.

- - - Updated - - -

P85 - Performance 85kWh
Most use S85 to refer to the non-performance 85 kWh flavor.
A few use S85 to indicate Signature 85 kWh flavor.

It's all very confusing and I don't think we have a consistent abbreviation for "Signature Performance 85 kWh" (SP85? S85P? P85S?). As for the +, it doesn't exist in the Sigs produced in North America. Sig deliveries outside of North America are in the early stages, so it will be interesting to see what people call the + enhanced ones as they get delivered.

- - - Updated - - -

They aren't acronyms but they get used a lot so it might be worth making note...

Range
  • Ideal: Tesla nomenclature for range when going a steady 55mph on flat road with no appreciable climate impact on efficiency. For the 85 kWh, a 100% charge has an Ideal range of 300 miles.
  • Rated: Tesla nomenclature for range using the EPA 5-cycle test. For the 85 kWh, a 100% charge has a Rated range of 265 miles.
  • Projected: Surfacing in varied forms across firmware versions, this indicates a predicted range based on driving history looking back 5, 15, or 30 miles.

Charge limits
SOC4.4- firmware4.5+ firmware
50-90%Daily
93%Standard
100%RangeTrip

Last edited: