Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you go from Bay Area to Lake Tahoe in one charge (P85)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our cabin in Tahoe is about 222 miles out. About 66 miles of the drive is mostly uphill (hwy 80).
Wondering if I can make it up there without a pit stop in Folsom for a charge with a P85 battery pack?
I'm particular wondering if anyone has gone from east bay to the west shore?

Our cabin in Tahoe is about 222 miles out. About 66 miles of the drive is mostly uphill (hwy 80).
Wondering if I can make it up there without a pit stop in Folsom for a charge with a P85 battery pack?
I'm particular wondering if anyone has gone from east bay to the west shore?

No way, not with that elevation gain. One rule of thumb is to add 10 miles for every 1000 feet of elevation, and Tahoe is at 6000 feet. You can model the trip using EVTripper, but remember that the 85kWh only really has about 81kWh usable.

Well, you could reach it if you drive at 55mph and start on a range charge.

However, that will take 40 minutes longer than driving 75mph and stopping for a 20 minute charge at Folsom. Plus you won't need to start with a range charge.

When I left the Folsom SC I had 200 mile range. When I got to Lake Tahoe I had 60 mile range. So I would definitely charge at Folsom. However I had a full charge at South Lake Tahoe and made it home to Cupertino with 60 miles left on one charge (85 kWh).

No way, not with that elevation gain. One rule of thumb is to add 10 miles for every 1000 feet of elevation, and Tahoe is at 6000 feet. You can model the trip using EVTripper, but remember that the 85kWh only really has about 81kWh usable.

Thank you for the useful information. I was planning on making the trip soon, so it sounds like I would need to make a 30 minute stop for lunch.

Thank you for the useful information. I was planning on making the trip soon, so it sounds like I would need to make a 30 minute stop for lunch.

I hit the Folsom charger with 98 miles of range and it took 80 minutes to fully charge to 265. Keep in mind that if you are going to North Tahoe or Reno on I-80, the supercharger is on US-50. It's a 20 mile drive thru suburban roads to get back to I-80. Plan on and extra 20 miles and 30 minute detour, plus the time of the stop.

There are J-1772 chargers at Squaw Valley and 1 at Tahoe City. The one in Tahoe City is only charges at 200V 30A.

Just to revisit the North Shore Lake Tahoe trip, just returned from spending overnight at North Shore. We charged up at the Firelite Lodge in Tahoe Vista, even though we did not stay with them they allowed us to plug in to there Nema 14-50 plug for 4 hours. They were very accommodating and charge $3.00 per hour. If you stay at the Hyatt Incline Village you can charge there, also 14-50.