Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CNN: Why electric vehicles have stalled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
Why electric vehicles have stalled - Dec. 4, 2008
Facing technical challenges and a weak market, many of Silicon Valley's electric-car startups are changing direction.
wrightspeed.jpg
tesla_roadster.jpg
aptera.jpg
2011_chevy_volt.jpg

Quote:

"In a 180-degree turn from where his company, Wrightspeed, was a year ago, Wright has completely abandoned the concept of bringing an electric car to market. Instead, while he waits for the electric vehicle market to mature, Wright is focusing on a more lucrative venture: Wrightspeed will make and sell electric powertrains - the battery pack, software, and other components that generate power to a vehicle - to existing car and truck manufacturers."

I thought that the drive train and battery pack in the X1 were from ACP, so how does Ian turn selling them into a business, without violating ACP's intellectual property? Has he developed his own technology?

"So far this year, Tesla has received 1,200 orders for its Roadster but shipped only 50"

They had shipped 70 several weeks ago. Not sure what else is wrong with this article but it seems like a headline looking for a story.

I thought that the drive train and battery pack in the X1 were from ACP, so how does Ian turn selling them into a business, without violating ACP's intellectual property? Has he developed his own technology?
Another thing I thought too. Maybe he will package and market beter than ACP. Their new website is much better but they need a decent mechanism for selling.

"So far this year, Tesla has received 1,200 orders for its Roadster but shipped only 50"

They are near 100. We are back to the "only" question. When will it be enough? Only 100 have been shipped. 'Only" 200, "only" "500"?

Passing Tucker has to mean something.

DailyTech - Electric Car Sales in Freefall; Industry Risks Collapse
9803_9801_lat_zap.jpg

Tesla Motors, maker of the all-electric Tesla Roadster, announced a round job cuts last October, and said that plans for a mass-produced high-volume electric car would be "impacted" by the grim sales outlook. Rumors suggested job cuts could be up to half the company's work force, a figure Tesla officially denied.
Grim sales outlook??? :confused: I'm pretty sure demand outstrips supply at this point.

Last edited:
This begs my long question as to why they do not post these numbers. Will they at least do a big PR release for Sig 100's delivered ? Why not allow us to see the numbers climb. All this bad publicity of very few cars incorrectly reported would be negated by a CURRENT little number on the web site. But then again what journalists actually fact check these days anyway ...

I still imagine it has to do with worrying that this would point out (and the press would more dwell on) delays over successes ongoing. Hopefully they will press release the 100 Roadster milestone, but I imagine they still are too inconsistent with their delivery numbers from week to week to want to publish them real-time.