Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

World's Largest Electric Vehicle Assemby, San Diego, California, June 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
THE EVENT HAS BEEN CHANGED... The title is wrong in this thread. The correct thread is here:

World's Largest Electric Vehicle Gathering, August 10, 2014, SoCal

We are planning a big kick-off to our annual all-electric vehicle rally this summer, BC2BC-2014, 1500 miles from Mexico to Canada. We would like to bring as many electric powered vehicles as we can to Long Beach, California on the morning of August 10, 2014 for the "World's Largest Electric Vehicle Gathering". Details of exact location in the coming months.

The vehicles need to be assembled by 9am and remain assembled until 12:30pm. All the vehicles on the lot MUST BE ENTIRELY ELECTRIC POWERED. No hybrids, no fossil fuel cars, no "range extenders", no hydrogen. If you have tow vehicles that are not 100% battery electric, those must be parked off site.

We have almost one thousand parking spots to fill, and we hope to do that with antiques, trucks, buses, cars, motorcycles, and anything else that is a transportation vehicle powered by autonomous battery electric power. We will have additional information in the coming months.

We are particularly interested in finding the first electric car that was built in California 100 years ago, the Beardsley Electric, that we can display. The Beardsley Electric Company of Los Angeles built their electric car from 1914 until 1917. Here is some further information:

Beardsley Electric | Cartype

Tony Williams
Rally Organizer
1500 Miles from Mexico to Canada
August 10, 2014 until August 17, 2014
BC2BC AllElectricVehicleRally.org Event Official Website
Quick Charge Power (QCpower) on Twitter #BC2BC
https://www.Facebook.com/groups/AllElectricVehicleRally

Last edited:
Time to start lobbying San Diego hotels to install charging stations is now. It would be great to have enough plugs to charge all the EVs overnight. Perhaps a combination of a few permanent 30A J1772 installs, and temporary installation of many more.

GSP

Time to start lobbying San Diego hotels to install charging stations is now. It would be great to have enough plugs to charge all the EVs overnight. Perhaps a combination of a few permanent 30A J1772 installs, and temporary installation of many more.

GSP

We actually have a lot of public J1772 in San Diego. Liberty Station (one site proposal) has 20 Blink 30 amp J1772 right now. Obviously, we will be asking all the players to bring in infrastructure.

Tony

Heya Tony,

I've realized that TESLIVE and ReFuel are going to fit together with BC2BC on one side or the other. By that, either BC2BC will be timed so that we make the BC2BC drive, and then folks stop off at TESLIVE / Refuel as they return to San Diego. OR, people driving south from Washington / Oregon for the start of BC2BC will stop off at TESLIVE / Refuel, and then drive back north as part of BC2BC.

I certainly like the sound of attending all 3 events, and like the idea of doing BC2BC again, but if the drive for me is Portland - San Diego - Blaine, WA - San Jose - Portland, then I'll be missing out (west coast round trip is tough enough - double round trip isn't in the cards).

It'll be helpful to know which side of BC2BC the Refuel and TESLIVE events will fall. I don't see a good way to satisfy the desire to hit up all 3 except by alternating the timing of BC2BC around relatively well known Refuel / TESLIVE (or the other way around).

Good luck figuring something effective out.

My input - when running BC2BC S-N as you will next year, try to time BC2BC for Refuel / Teslive attendance during the return drive. You'll get more Cali participation in BC2BC anyway when going S-N (for some reason a short drive to the start of BC2BC is more likely to lead to driving the whole distance twice - dunno why really). When running BC2BC going N-S, then try to time it so that the WA/OR folks participating in BC2BC can readily stop in for Refuel / TESLIVE during their return trip (as it all fell out this year). I expect you're going to get better WA/OR participation in BC2BC when going N-S anyway.

If you follow my advice, then I probably won't run BC2BC next year :( I'll think about making a road trip out of TESLIVE and Refuel.

Don't forget that other idea for BC2BC - see how many EV's you can get out for single stages of BC2BC! That'll be a good excuse for people who drive EVs to get out of town who haven't done so before, but they aren't signing up for 2+ weeks on the road either.

Guys, I've already been burned trying to coordinate with other events, which in part caused all the BC2BC drivers to miss ReFuel this year. I fully intend to make it to ReFuel and Teslive 2014, but honestly, trying to put a bazillion EV's in one location won't be able to flip fop with the whims of whenever the "other events" might be planned.

The very size of the venue required in a major city should make it clear that I'm already well into to finding any venue, and it will be when that venue is available in June.

For instance, I called the San Diego County fairgrounds in Del Mar. They are locked down from May through September.

BC2BC with oil burning cars is NOT going to happen. Not much challenge, and it detracts from the huge effort by everybody else. We made it clear at media events that we use "no gasoline", and that message will remain.

Volts, BMW i3, Plug in Prius, etc are OK at the "World's Largest Electric Vehicle Gathering".

- - - Updated - - -

How come the Tesla Factory does not qualify? Surely more than 384 S's on site.

So, how many are there?

I think you could get more than 384 Model S's alone in the San Diego/LA area!

Moderators: Request that this post be stickied.

What: World's Largest Electric Vehicle Assembly

Who: All Electric Powered Vehicles

When: June 2014, a Saturday morning to be determined

Where: San Diego, California USA

Why: This year, in Europe, there was a gathering of 384 EV's. There is no way that will stand :love: California is the place to Make-It-Happen.

This EV assembly will also be the launch of the All Electric Vehicle Rally, BC2BC-2014, Mexico to Canada (to be announced on a separate thread). For out of town participants, San Diego is ideal with HUNDREDS of hotels, beautiful beaches, and great weather. We need you ALL.

Details to follow over the upcoming many months. This will require many volunteers for the level of organization it deserves.

Sponsors, media, volunteers, inquiries, email: [email protected]

Make-It-Happen,

Tony Williams
EV Guru, Advocate and Organizer Emeritus
San Diego, California, USA

Last edited:
We actually have a lot of public J1772 in San Diego. Liberty Station (one site proposal) has 20 Blink 30 amp J1772 right now. Obviously, we will be asking all the players to bring in infrastructure.

Tony

I took at look on PlugShare. There are a lot of J1772's, but I clicked on about fourty of them before I found one at a hotel. It was the Paradise Point Resort, which I have stayed at a few years ago and can highly recommend. However, it looks like "Charge to Go" cars will be using most of the J1772's, per the comments on PlugShare.

Many of the J1772's are likely near hotels, or even next to hotels, but this is hard to figure out. This could be easier. With so many people arriving from out of town in their EVs, having J1772 charging on hotel property, and advertized as a permanent hotel amenity would be helpful to give Tesla owners a great travel experience and help Tesla's sales. This would also help lower range EVs, but perhaps not as much.

GSP

Move it to Los Angeles, your attendance will be MUCH great than in San Diego.

Yes, I agree. I think it will be in the greater Los Angeles area for this very reason. Unfortunately, I can't edit the title of the thread, so I'll probably start a new one. We're looking at August, since it's easier to get venues to hold this.

I would like to have well over one thousand cars.