Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where's the service manual?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does seem a bit disengenious that the patents belong to us but there will be no support for those that want to service what they own because that information is proprietary.

Whatever forced Ferrari, Porsche, MB and the like to generate documentation and diagnostic tools will eventually catch up to Tesla. They will not stay small enough to fly below the radar much longer.

Once a significant number of cars are out of warranty I'd think the feds/states will take notice. My SC has a sign that says the hourly rate is $175. Repairs will be quite expensive.

I think Tesla is arguing the following:

The law says a service manual must be made available so independent shops can compete with dealerships. Tesla has no dealerships so independent shops have nothing to compete with. Thus no need to release a manual.

That's hogwash, obviously. So far they've gotten away with it as they have taken care of things under warranty and goodwill.

I think Tesla is arguing the following:

The law says a service manual must be made available so independent shops can compete with dealerships. Tesla has no dealerships so independent shops have nothing to compete with. Thus no need to release a manual.
I don't know whether they are arguing this or not, but...

In the same way that Tesla can (hopefully) rely on the average citizen to back them in the dealership situation, they should be wary of being on the wrong side of the servicing/shop-manual issue.

I have purchased a service manual for every car I have ever bought ranging from $10 for my 1978 Chevy Impala and $340 for my 1993 Crown Victoria. I.still drive both cars.
When my Model X arrives in the first quarter of 2016, I will be very disappointed if a service manual or online manual access is unavailable. Canada XP634.