Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Tesla Goes to China

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  194.9 KBthis was posted on Instagram a few days ago. Looks like it is the new Beijing store. Pretty sweet

Tesla sells its first electric car in mainland China: Shanghaiist

Tesla sells its first electric car in mainland China

The California-based electric car company Tesla has secured its first ever sale in mainland China. The car manufacturer is looking to expand into the mainland, and sold the car to a man from Dongyang city, Zhejiang province. The all-electric luxury sedan was shipped from Tesla's showroom in Hong Kong. Tesla's Hong Kong store had already received over 300 cash deposits of $5000 to $42,500 to reserve the Tesla Model S before the company even decided on the price. It is rumored that the entry-level model will start from HK$600,000 ($80,000).
    Bizarre story. Not sure if it is real, or just a screw-up (the picture is a roadster, after all).

Edit/Clarification: I don't think this story is true. It is possible that the Dongyang guy got a Model S into China, but not that he got it through Hong Kong.
    Last edited by markwj; 2013-10-24 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Add my thoughts that this is not true
    PLEASE NOTE:
    These musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership.
    My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my express consent.

Quote Originally Posted by markwj View Post
    Bizarre story. Not sure if it is real, or just a screw-up (the picture is a roadster, after all).

Edit/Clarification: I don't think this story is true. It is possible that the Dongyang guy got a Model S into China, but not that he got it through Hong Kong.
    Now spreading. SCMP is a respected Hong Kong English language newspaper:

First Tesla electric car sold to a mainland customer for an alleged HK$3m | South China Morning Post

Tesla Motors is allegedly delivering its first electric car to a mainland customer for a total price of around 2.5 million yuan, (HK$3 million) according to local media reports and online postings.... Reporters from the Qianjeng Evening News followed up on the Weibo posts, and discovered that the poster known as “Hantian Racing” was director of a car factory in Zhejiang. He knew of the car’s buyer, but declined to give a name and would only state that the Model S was currently in Shanghai, would soon be shipped to Dongyang, and had been purchased in a “direct transfer from Hong Kong” with total shipping costs estimated at around 2.5 million yuan.
    Maybe from a Hong Kong trader, but not Tesla Hong Kong. Probably a US car brought in gray market.
    PLEASE NOTE:
    These musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership.
    My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my express consent.

What's the policy regarding break/totaling a tesla model s because of debris in china?
    There is sure tons of debris laying around on the streets/highways here (i currently live in shanghai) coming from those overloaded trucks loosing stuff from all the construction sites around.

Just heard it on the radio...first delivery to Shanghai tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by markwj View Post
    Now spreading. SCMP is a respected Hong Kong English language newspaper:

First Tesla electric car sold to a mainland customer for an alleged HK$3m | South China Morning Post

Maybe from a Hong Kong trader, but not Tesla Hong Kong. Probably a US car brought in gray market.
    No doubt a grey market import.

A friend knowledgeable in these matters says that since the Model S wasn't approved for sale in China at the time, the car was probably imported as "Goods" and not as a vehicle. So this expensive grey market Model S was the first in China but may never be eligible for a registration or street legal.
    Blue and Tan, Obeche gloss, Pano Roof
    Supercharger, Tech, Premium Sound, Air Suspension
    P 8040/VIN 4768 60kWH Picked up at Factory on 2/7/2013. Accident/RIP 5/25/2013

VIN 13605 Performance 85 Picked up 7/8/2013

Yesterday on Shanghai streets
    Name:  IMG-20140515-WA0000.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  46.8 KB

Thread Information