Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford mentions EV plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ford provided initial details of an accelerated vehicle electrification plan for a family of hybrids, plug-in hybrids and battery electric vehicles. The plan includes a Ford full battery electric vehicle (BEV) in a van-type vehicle for commercial fleet use in 2010 and a BEV sedan in 2011

Let's hope they stick to this.

Of course there are "Ford" EV vans around today, so they could always sub-contract it:

20080419-smith-ampere-electric-van.jpg

Last edited:
I am most skeptical of Chrysler's promise of the following:

it will begin selling EVs for fleet use in 2009, with regular customer deliveries scheduled for 2010. We're not sure what it'll be selling, though a variation of one of the three EV concepts it showed off a few months back seems most likely. In any case, the automaker believes it can have 500,000 produced by 2013.

Unless Chrysler already has a production model ready and is retooling as we speak, the 2009 promise is bunk.

GM and Chrysler's future business plans include EVs and hybrids - AutoblogGreen

They plan to sell the EV vans for fleet use. Every time I see "fleet" or "lease" (as BMW is doing with the mini-cooper EV) I cannot help but think of the EV1 and its fate. Tesla has the right approach to just sell the vehicle. If the owner wants to re-sell or take it apart that is up to them. The "tether" approach is going to make fleet owners and individuals think twice.

Geneva 2009: Ford's all-electric Tourneo Connect

The idea behind the passenger-friendly Tourneo BEV is to showcase how the battery-only powerplant can be used to ferry people as well as freight. The powertrain for both models was co-developed by Ford and Smith EV and features a 21 kWh lithium-ion phosphate battery pack, a 50 kW permanent magnet motor, and a single-speed transmission. That's good for a 160-km (100-mile) range and top speeds of about 113 km/h (70 mph). A full charge takes 6-8 hours. These numbers are exactly the same as those announced for the electric Transit Connect.

bev_concept-580.jpg