Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger stations in Georgia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ChrisC

see signature
Apr 27, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I'm going to open this thread to see if we can get started gathering information about where the Supercharger stations are going in Georgia.

According to Tesla's SC plan at http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger , by the end of "Fall 2013" there will be a station in the Savannah area and a station in extreme northeast Georgia along the I-85 corridor. I think the latter station will be of most interest to Atlanta area owners, since it enables travel to the eastern seaboard.

Many Atlantans are also interested in some coverage of the I-75 corridor down to Florida, but those don't appear to be coming until 2014 sometime.

So, let's start scouring for permits ... My personal guess for the I-85 corridor location is in Commerce GA, where there are some outlet malls, but they could locate farther northeast. Certainly I think that's as far southwest as they'll put it.

For purposes of checking permit systems, counties along that stretch of I-85 are Jackson, Banks and Franklin; I think Commerce is the only municipality.

Last edited:
I fully expect it to be at the Tanger Outletlets on I-85 and US-441.
http://binged.it/14SnP1d

I really am hoping for an earlier Augusta supercharger too.

And if you really look even the 2015 map going south on I-75 to Florida has a pretty big (200+ miles) gap between Macon and Lake City. I don't think anything past the "Winter 2013" are really thought out. The double superchargers in Augusta are weird too. Plus filling in (2015) the 160 mile stretch between Macon and Savannah seems odd also.

The double superchargers in Augusta are weird too.

Some time ago I believe I found rest areas on each side of the highway which seemed to line up perfectly with the two SC locations near Augusta.

- - - Updated - - -

...if you really look even the 2015 map going south on I-75 to Florida has a pretty big (200+ miles) gap between Macon and Lake City. I don't think anything past the "Winter 2013" are really thought out.

I hope you're right about possible changes to the map past Winter 2013. A couple of months ago I suggested a station be considered at the Dublin Mall, approx. halfway between Macon and Lake City area. No response from TM.

I am trying to get from Franklin TN to Hilton Head Island SC. I was hoping for superchargers on I-75 and I-16 since that is the route I take by conventional horse and buggy. I would probably put supercharger locations north and south of Atlanta on I-75 and somewhere along I-16. That way I could make it to Savannah (idealy the Supercharger location would be at the intersection of I-16 and I-95 or close by) then on to HHI. If there was a supercharger near the service center in Marietta and one near Macon that would be fine for me. I have the p85 battery pack so I think if they were placed smartly, I could get to Savanna with only 2 stops.

Superchargers in Augusta would be perfect for a drive from Atlanta to Columbia, SC. A route I have taken often. (Not a current Tesla owner, btw) :)

Yeah I really wish they would get this one done sooner. It is much easier/better to get to I-95N, via I-20 than I-85. Not to mention it opens up Charleston (now that I live in Atlanta, give me some Bradenton/Sarasota beaches any day) my preferred beach destination. And personally Florence, SC where I have Thanksgiving every year. Not to mention everything North of Charleston, like Hilton Head and NC Coastal area.

I think a lot of folks that live in Atlanta also head to Florida but down 85S for vacations in places like Destin. I would like something on that route, like maybe Montgomery, Auburn or somewhere about 175-200 miles away from Atlanta. Also, I do think there are a lot of business trips to the West in Birmingham. Those are generally day trips, but if your in a Tesla, you basically have to spend the night to charge or stop for a couple of hours.

I find it disappointing that there are no significant plans for SC stations along I 75. There are many of us here in FL for whom I 75 is the major access route to the upper Midwest, diverging to our different destinations only upon reaching Chattanooga. Or the reverse - those from the upper Midwest converging at the north end of I 75 and thence to FL. Are the other highways - 85, 20, etc. busier than I 75?

I have not heard anything yet. I am driving to Athens on Saturday or Sunday. I might drive by the Tanger Outlet and cruise around. I doubt there would be construction as of yet, but it is only a few minute detour for me.

I am HOPING for construction in October or early November (so I can use it on Thanksgiving). But really expecting December.

Bumping this up. Anybody seen or heard anything?

I am driving to Athens on Saturday or Sunday. I might drive by the Tanger Outlet and cruise around.

Drove at the Tanger Outlet mall at US441 and I85 (close to where that supercharge dot is). No construction happening. The mall is a "C" shape, with all the stores and parking on the inside of the "C". There are lots of electrical infrastructure on the outside of the "C" behind all the stores. I would expect them to put the superchargers on the outside, near a cross through tunnel, if they chose that location at all.

The superchargers have to be on the interstate right now. I couldn't imagine them putting one in Athens.

The Tanger Outlet mall is due north of Athens on I-85. I would think that would be a much better place than ~20 miles off the interstate in Athens. But I have been wrong before. That exit seems to be the closest to Athens proper, although slightly out of the way if driving from Atlanta. You can still use it going to-from Athens in a 60kWh while not being too inconvenienced, but still make the jump to Charlotte an easy on with an 85kWh.

Not to mention a round trip to Athens from Atlanta is quite easy to do in an 85kWh. I would wonder the practicality of putting one there. And putting one on I-85 makes Charlotte an easy trip. As well as making it possible to get to I95 in SC Via Greenville -> Columbia, before the Augusta superchargers go in.

I agree about the Macon one. But there is still a >200 mile gap between Macon and Lake City, FL in there final SC map right now also. Not to mention it is a long way off.

I find it disappointing that there are no significant plans for SC stations along I 75. There are many of us here in FL for whom I 75 is the major access route to the upper Midwest, diverging to our different destinations only upon reaching Chattanooga. Or the reverse - those from the upper Midwest converging at the north end of I 75 and thence to FL. Are the other highways - 85, 20, etc. busier than I 75?

Archie,

I am confident that we will see an unadvertised Supercharger station off of I-75 in the Gainesville/Ocala area to assist in traveling north to Georgia. I think it will be installed sooner rather than later, maybe early next year.

Larry

Archie,

I am confident that we will see an unadvertised Supercharger station off of I-75 in the Gainesville/Ocala area to assist in traveling north to Georgia. I think it will be installed sooner rather than later, maybe early next year.

Larry

I am certain that there will also be one between Macon and Lake City soon after those are installed. Probably Tifton, GA or Cordele, GA. A ~215 mile gap isn't going to cut it. Even in the 'warm' south.

I am certain that there will also be one between Macon and Lake City soon after those are installed. Probably Tifton, GA or Cordele, GA. A ~215 mile gap isn't going to cut it. Even in the 'warm' south.

That's reassuring. Thanks for the hopeful prediction. I agree that a 215 mile gap is quite iffy especially since I-75 is conducive in many sections to running at 80 or above (guilty, your honor x 13 years). Heck, even going through the middle of Atlanta can be a blast. That's a lot of juice to replace - either before or after Atlanta regardless of direction. The other big gap is between Macon and Chattanooga - unless the service center in Marietta has extra charging facilities. Does it?

I submitted 2 SC suggestions on 5/31/13 on the Tesla site's SC recommendation form:

1) Paddock Mall (a Simon Mall) in Ocala FL
Placement: 94 mi north of Tampa Service Center; 90 mi south of I-75/I-10 intersection.
Stores include Macy's, Sears, Belk, JC Penney, Victoria's Secret and many more.
Nearby restaurants: Outback Steakhouse, Olive Garden, Ruby Tuesday's, Chuck E. Cheese, and a bunch more

2) Tifton Mall in Tifton GA
Placement: 100 mi north of I-75/I-10 intersection; 94 mi south of I-75/I-475 intersection (Macon,GA).
Stores include Belk, JC Penney, TJ Maxx, Childrens Place, Bath & Body Works, & Dockers.
Nearby restaurants: Red Lobster, Pizza Hut, Subway, Taco Bell, McDonalds, Checkers, and several others

If you would like to piggyback on these suggestions or have another, here's the link:
Supercharging

Agreed 215 miles between Macon, GA and Lake City, FL is way too far. Tifton, GA is splits the distance to Lake City, FL very nicely with about 108 miles. Then its 80 miles from Lake City, FL to Ocala, FL and another 98 miles to Brandon Town Center in Tampa, FL. (I'm hoping Tesla selects the Brandon Town Center, but unfortunately the dot on the interactive map could also be the Tampa Service Center. If so, that would be extremely unfortunate.)Then another 132 miles down I-75 to the existing Supercharger station at Gulf Coast Town Center.

Supercharger route to Georgia.jpg

Larry

Last edited:
Nice! The Tesla SC map has a red dot @ the Chattanooga area. That's a gap of over 200 miles between Chattanooga and Macon. If the Atlanta service center is in Marietta, it might be a good idea to have superchargers there also. The area has a lot of shops and restaurants and it just about splits the gap in half.