Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3phase charging station type 2 for europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

felixtb

RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4
Jan 14, 2011
Lausanne, CH
has any body seen or bought or researched a good and good looking charging station for the model S for the garage?? I saw that Mennekes are supposed to make one but I am not sure if they do and in that case where they sell it.....? are there any other manufacturers for home use?? we are building a new garage and I want to make sure I get the right equipment to charge as conveniently as possible

thanks for the info

Hi Felix,

a lot of Model S / Roadster owners in Germany are getting this here (all in German, sorry)

TFF Forum Post

and here the link to the company

Privatkunden

I think this looks like a much better solution than the provided Tesla UMC. As far as I understand it can be wall mounted, but also be used as a mobile wall box. And frankly, I think you probably need a wall box only, if you have twin chargers and then more likely for travelling than at home.

Here is a test and a video (also in German):

DanZei Mobile Ladebox crOhm EVSE1M40

Last edited:
So in theory it should be possible to charge Model S with 64A three phases, if one phase can draw up to 80Amps. Why is this not possible in practice? A thermal problem?

Is it actually three chargers in model s for the three phases or is a single charger capable of beeing so flexible to manage all this kinds of inputs?

It is not possible since the Model S charger (AC to DC converter) is only capable of 22 KW (if having dual chargers installed). This is equal to ~18A with 400V 3-phase AC. So there's simply no point in more...
Hmm... If ~18A 400V 3 phase is 22 KW, how come Teslas chart only shows 11 KW on 16A?

When supercharging or fast charging, DC is used. So if you install an AC to DC converter (and the proper electronics) you would be able to charge much much faster. But I don't see that as viable for a home install.

The chargers are constrained by current, not power. While Tesla advertises the power in kW, the chargers have a limited input voltage and a maximum current. For European 3-phase, I suspect but it has not been confirmed that Tesla has chosen to use a charger with 3 sub-chargers, each capable of 16A per phase, using a nominal voltage in the ~230V range. Dual chargers allow for paralleled operation at 32A per phase.

I placed my supposition here, with a diagram:
Europe: Future Charging for Model S 1-phase or 3-phase? (Part 2) - Page 47

Based upon how Tesla has done Superchargers in the US, and based upon sharing some common components for charging, I suspect the Tesla does not use the 400V phase-to-phase voltage; instead, it uses the 230V phase-to-neutral voltage, at 16A each (single charger) or 32A each (dual charger). This gets you 22 kW.