Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 New Charging Stations open in South Jersey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://www.courierpostonline.com/ar...260014/7-charging-stations-open-electric-cars

highlights from article:

• ECOtality stations
  • free for one year
  • locations
    • the three camden county college campuses,
    • Cooper River Boat*house in Pennsauken,
    • two branches of the county library system (in Winslow and Bellmawr)
    • Camden County Technical School.

Personally, while more stations is great, I just don't think people "get it". i.e. "We hope county residents and those who travel Route 70 will ‘fill ’er up’ with power at the new charging stations." Now that statement is just absurd. Sure it's free for a year but there's lots of problems with that logic. First, county residents will recharge at home, not at these stations. When it's not free anymore, it won't make sense to charge up at these stations. It'll cost 10x probably at much to use these stations than to charge at home (though I guess if you have one of those EVs with a tiny battery it may help). It'll only make sense for out of towners that are coming into town at a residence/hotel that does not have chargers. Second, nobody is just going to stop by to 'fill er up' because they are not fast DC chargers. I don't know how many amps they are going to be, but if it';s anything like chargepoint 30amps will take 8+ hours to "fill er up". Not practical. But still +1 for more stations at least.

CHERRY HILL — Camden County officials unveiled seven electric car charging stations Thursday afternoon as part of an ongoing commitment to creating a cleaner, greener environment for local residents.

The stations are said to be “strategically” placed around the county and will be free to all users for one year.

The county partnered with ECOtality North America to install the charging infrastructures. In total, the project cost about $60,000, half of which will be covered by a grant from the U.S. Department of Energy.

“Electric vehicles are the wave of our future,” Freeholder Jeff Nash said. “It is not only cost-effective, but it is important for our environment and our nation.

“We save money for ourselves, we reduce our carbon footprint and we also reduce our dependence on foreign oil.”

To date, about 100,000 plug-in cars have been sold in the U.S. So far this year, representatives from Winner Ford in Cherry Hill said they sold about 20.

The company’s top model is the Fusion Energi, which delivers about 100 mpg, making it one of the most fuel-efficient midsize cars in America.

“I get about 540 miles for every gallon of gas I use, but the key is finding these charging stations,” said Chevy Volt owner Steve Oliver, who will be installing a charger at his office in King of Prussia, Pa., next week.

According to the Department of Energy, there are an estimated 6,200 public charging stations in the country. About a dozen are in the tri-county area.

The county charging stations are located at each of the three Camden County College campuses — including its Cherry Hill campus named after William Rohrer, the longtime Haddon Township mayor and philanthropist who took over his father’s car dealership in 1935, and turned it into one of the largest Chevrolet dealerships in the nation by 1947.

“We hope county residents and those who travel Route 70 will ‘fill ’er up’ with power at the new charging stations,” Camden County College President Raymond Yannuzzi said.

Other locations include the Cooper River Boat*house in Pennsauken, two branches of the county library system (in Winslow and Bellmawr) and the Camden County Technical School.

“We are ahead of the curve,” said Chris Waldron, Camden County director of sustainability. “People can feel confident that when they drive long distances they can stop in South Jersey to plug in.”

According to newjerseygasprices.com, the average cost per gallon of gas in New Jersey is $3.57.

Nash said the average e-gallon will cost about $1.18.

Electric vehicles cost anywhere from $30,000 for the Volt to $100,000 for a fully-loaded Tesla S.

“As a freeholder, and more importantly as a mother, I am very concerned about sustainability and being thoughtful stewards of our natural resources,” Freeholder Michelle Gentek said.

“The installation of charging stations to facilitate the greater use of electric cars is the responsible thing to do for our future.”

This is pretty common. They are well meaning but clueless about how chargers are used. I don't know about the Cooper River Boat House but none of the others appear to be destinations for out of towners. A better way to go is focus on convention facilities, hotels/motels and, maybe, malls. Of course, that's all private so they couldn't use public funds.

Frankly, they are probably free EV parking places more than anything else.

This is pretty common. They are well meaning but clueless about how chargers are used. I don't know about the Cooper River Boat House but none of the others appear to be destinations for out of towners. A better way to go is focus on convention facilities, hotels/motels and, maybe, malls.

Agreed. The Cooper River Boathouse the only location that makes the most sense - it's regularly rented for conventions and banquets (we almost had our daughter's wedding reception there). All the other locations look like they're for mostly local drivers. I suppose if you have a longish commute, and have a Ford Energi or Volt the other locations would work to eliminate gas usage for people that work at the college or the libraries.

I agree with most of the OP's points but, even if 30A L2, it will fill up some cars more quickly than 8 hours. I think it would fill a Leaf up in 4-5 hours. Still not a reasonable wait, but if at a shopping area, it could work. And I know Ecotality is putting in some DCFCs, though these may not be from the picture I saw.

As for cost, its still cheaper than gas most likely.