Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multi-coat red...too flashy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize for this being not only a subjective post but also a personal one. Like I'm sure most of you did, I am agonizing over every option choice, but most of all, what color to pick. I'm deciding between gray, pearl white, and red (will be P85 with gray 21's and tan interior). I absolutely love the red. It is stunning, but I'm worried it may send the wrong message for me. I'm a relatively young (32) entrepreneur and am concerned a bright red $100k+ car may send the wrong message to my staff. I am not a flashy guy at all, and never considered a red car before I saw the MS. I know the car attracts attention anyway, but do I want the extra attention (cops?) from the red? I know all colors are beautiful, so at the end of the day there is no wrong choice. Am I being crazy? Did anyone else struggle with this? Any red owners have thoughts?
Thank you all for being a tremendous community and educating me the past year.

I chose red and am very happy with the color. If you like like it - get it. Don't let someone else dictate your choice. To me it is the best looking color.

Most of the colors are very dark. Dark colors show dirt easily.

When I took delivery at the factory white, black and silver/grey seemed to be the most popular colors.

it's a valid concern. I have a Fusion Red roadster and a Black Model S. Color is definitely the most personal decision you're going to make on the car... and obviously it's the most visible. I think it DOES project something about you as well, like it or not.

There's no question that the red model S is both beautiful and attention-getting. I love it... had it been available when I ordered, I think I'd have picked it.

That said, it is not subtle, especially on a quite-large vehicle like this, and the reasons you point out for being hesitant are real. If you think of it, how many bright red BMW 7- (or 5-) series have you ever seen? How many S-, SL-, CL-class Mercedes are in a bright red? Very few if any, and I think it's because buyers in that category often prefer a more subtle, sophisticated look that blends in rather than shouts "look at me!". Bentleys, Jags, and of course the italian sports car brands often come in red and other bright colors because people who buy those like the cars to truly stand out. (OK, I'm certainly generalizing here...)

I think the darker or more standard colors (or in Tesla's case any color BUT red) are beautiful, elegant, but still "blend in" rather than "stand out". I also work with young high-tech entrepreneurs in silicon valley and I don't feel self-conscious pulling in to a parking lot in my black Model S. It won't turn heads in that way. I don't drive my red roadster to such meetings because it calls too much attention to itself and me. I guess it's that most people sitting near the window or in the lobby may not even notice my car is a Tesla when I drive the black S, it's just a large sedan. Pull in in a red one, and anyone near the window or in the lobby looking out will likely notice. If that's going to make you feel self-conscious or awkward, I'd choose a non-red color.

I look forward to some other Red owners commenting on this as well,

--josh

Visualize this.
DSC_0555c.jpg

I apologize for this being not only a subjective post but also a personal one. Like I'm sure most of you did, I am agonizing over every option choice, but most of all, what color to pick. I'm deciding between gray, pearl white, and red (will be P85 with gray 21's and tan interior). I absolutely love the red. It is stunning, but I'm worried it may send the wrong message for me. I'm a relatively young (32) entrepreneur and am concerned a bright red $100k+ car may send the wrong message to my staff. I am not a flashy guy at all, and never considered a red car before I saw the MS. I know the car attracts attention anyway, but do I want the extra attention (cops?) from the red? I know all colors are beautiful, so at the end of the day there is no wrong choice. Am I being crazy? Did anyone else struggle with this? Any red owners have thoughts?
Thank you all for being a tremendous community and educating me the past year.

Flashy would be pulling up to your reserved, front-row executive parking space in a flame red Ferrari or Maserati or Model S. Parking anywhere on the lot like the rest of your employees in your red Model S - which can be mistaken for anything from a Ford to a Jaguar - shows humility.

it's a valid concern. I have a Fusion Red roadster and a Black Model S. Color is definitely the most personal decision you're going to make on the car... and obviously it's the most visible. I think it DOES project something about you as well, like it or not.

There's no question that the red model S is both beautiful and attention-getting. I love it... had it been available when I ordered, I think I'd have picked it.

That said, it is not subtle, especially on a quite-large vehicle like this, and the reasons you point out for being hesitant are real. If you think of it, how many bright red BMW 7- (or 5-) series have you ever seen? How many S-, SL-, CL-class Mercedes are in a bright red? Very few if any, and I think it's because buyers in that category often prefer a more subtle, sophisticated look that blends in rather than shouts "look at me!". Bentleys, Jags, and of course the italian sports car brands often come in red and other bright colors because people who buy those like the cars to truly stand out. (OK, I'm certainly generalizing here...)

I think the darker or more standard colors (or in Tesla's case any color BUT red) are beautiful, elegant, but still "blend in" rather than "stand out". I also work with young high-tech entrepreneurs in silicon valley and I don't feel self-conscious pulling in to a parking lot in my black Model S. It won't turn heads in that way. I don't drive my red roadster to such meetings because it calls too much attention to itself and me. I guess it's that most people sitting near the window or in the lobby may not even notice my car is a Tesla when I drive the black S, it's just a large sedan. Pull in in a red one, and anyone near the window or in the lobby looking out will likely notice. If that's going to make you feel self-conscious or awkward, I'd choose a non-red color.

I look forward to some other Red owners commenting on this as well,

--josh

Really excellent points Josh, thank you.

In the US, can red and blue (and perhaps even green), when used as colors on cars, in some (albeit perhaps minor) way, be perceived through a political spectrum (red states/blue states…)?

According to Wikipedia:

Red states and blue states

[…]

the terms were coined by journalist Tim Russert, during his televised coverage of the 2000 presidential election. /.../
This reverses a long-standing convention, where the red symbols (such as the Red Flag or Red Star) are associated with [left-leaning, My edit.] movements [in line with historical European associations, My edit.], and conservative movements often choose blue as a contrasting color.

Source:

Red states and blue states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the US, can red and blue (and perhaps even green), when used as colors on cars, in some (albeit perhaps minor) way, be perceived through a political spectrum (red states/blue states…)?
No, I don't think so. I've never looked at a car color and inferred the political leanings of the driver.
I HAVE looked at the make and model of a car and inferred some likely political leanings of the driver. :)
I was about to list some tongue-in-cheek examples, but I'll resist the urge as I suspect it will cause this thread to devolve into flames and snippiness.

had the sample of red we saw in stores been closer to what we are seeing on the streets, we may very well have gone red. we really loved the signature red, the sample was too candy apple, the real McCoy is beautiful! pearl white was my wife's fave but I we settled on gray.

I will put my two cent in on this, color is very personnel. I have had red sports cars when I was in my 20's and I can tell you I am not a flashy person. I pick the color based on my taste at the time of buying, do not worry about other people. You will never please everyone. We were looking at white and silver, had blue car for the last 30 years and wanted a change. I drove my wife crazy because I never make decisions on impulse and over think every decision. So drove to both Menlo Park and Santana Row to look at the new red when it came out and loved it. Yes it stands out but I have had people who do not buy red car say it is an amazing color. So having said all the above, you have to do what you think is best. The one thing you can always say to anyone is it is all electric, this usually softens the comments. Have never had anyone say anything negative about the color or car for any reason. Enjoy!!!

I agree with the others to get what you like the most. That being said, let's all be honest. You wouldn't be buying a Tesla unless you liked what it was saying about you. Everyone cares what other people think. Everyone. If they say they don't, they're being dishonest. Ever go to an "Anarchist" meeting. They all dress the same and spend their time one-upping each other on their non-conformity.

Anyway, I really like the red. However, I just thought I would feel subconscious driving it and thought it would not be well perceived. I'm a doctor and I park where patients and nurses see my car. I drive up in some flashy red car - nevermind it's a granola-crunch-mobile, and I'm gonna get the label of obnoxious doctor showing off his new toy. Probably have that anyway, but blue just doesn't carry the same connotations. In the end, I'm more comfortable driving a less flashy color.

I do still kind of wish I would have gone with white from time to time though. So pretty but I would have been washing that car constantly...