Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
A thread for general Model S accident photos.

Saw this Monday night on Santa Monica.

CIMG6307.JPG
CIMG6309.JPG
CIMG6313.JPG

Hope all involved are okay. I just got rear-ended in another car (non-Tesla), it's not fun to be on either end of the equation.

I wonder when the NHTSA will be releasing Model S crash data? They tweeted me that results should be posted in July, but we're running out of July...

Do not try this in a regular ICE! This car is a professional.

Stop and go rear enders normally have the guy in back diving while the guy in front is pitching butt up. This results in the peel your frunk damage you see.

That being said, it is worth repeating that the driver is FINE. I agree, we need to post a lot more of these pics whenever we can find them, include occupant status and make it a sticky. There is no better explanation of how safe a car is than pictures and a lot of potential buyers are asking (me) that question.

Thanks VFX

Does anyone know if it costs more to repair a $100k Tesla than say a $100k Mercedes AMG with similar repairs?
Might want to restructure that question. Same time of incident is a better metric than same type of repairs.

For example, we heard reports that the crush testing of the Model S broke the testing device. So if you want to compare a "roof compromised" repair on the Model S with "roof compromised" repair on another vehicle, you're talking about significantly different magnitude on the incident that caused the damage.

Pics from my well known accident. Nosecone broadsided by an M5 in as I was traversing a 4 way stop. He was going about 60MPH in a 25MPH residential area; rolled, flipped and totaled the M5.

No major or long term injuries to either party. My wife and I sustained contusions and bruises from the airbag deployment.

Salvage going to an enthusiast planning on getting P4768 back on the road!

image_2.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

image_4.jpeg

image.jpeg

photo.JPG

photo-5a.jpg

photo 2 (2).jpg

My Frunk is now Junk!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it costs more to repair a $100k Tesla than say a $100k Mercedes AMG with similar repairs?
It would be very difficult to compare given the different way the Tesla's crumple zones can work since there's no ICE. If this was as fast a collision as it looks, IMO, this would have destroyed the AMG's engine and damaged the drivetrain, totaling the car. On the other hand, maybe it wasn't a particularly high-speed collision and the Tesla sacrificed the front to reduce injury to the occupants.

"
If this was as fast a collision as it looks, IMO, this would have destroyed the AMG's engine and damaged the drivetrain, totaling the car.

I believe that ICE drivetrains are designed to drop and slide back under the vehicle in front end collisions to avoid damage to the drivetrain as well as injury to the occupants. Either way, most insurance companies would likely buy out the vehicle to avoid an unhappy client.