Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"On Hold" orders subject to new pricing after August 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think that I've seen a thread regarding this... if there is, my apologies...

I have an order on hold since around mid-June ($ is not quite available at the moment). I received an email yesterday that states the following:
In July, we announced a price increase for the air suspension and 21" wheel options. We want to inform you that currently, your order is not subject to this price change, however, if your order remains "On Hold" after August 1, 2013, your order will become subject to the new pricing and to any further price changes if and when they may occur.

If you are not confirming your order because you are not ready to take delivery within the typical 6-8 week delivery timeframe, you can secure your current pricing by confirming your order and selecting a different delivery window. You can select a delivery window up to a year from your date of confirmation.

If at some point in the future you decide to change the configuration of your order once it has been released to the factory, this may be possible, but this will cause your order to be repriced to the most current pricing structures and you will lose your previous pricing.

At the moment, the price increase doesn't affect me... as I am not getting 21" and my current order doesn't have air suspension (but I have been thinking about it).

I don't think that I've seen a thread regarding this... if there is, my apologies...

I have an order on hold since around mid-June ($ is not quite available at the moment). I received an email yesterday that states the following:

At the moment, the price increase doesn't affect me... as I am not getting 21" and my current order doesn't have air suspension (but I have been thinking about it).

The sentence that is the most interesting is "your order will become subject to the new pricing and to any further price changes if and when they may occur." This is key because, although you are not affected now since you aren't getting air suspension or 21's, if they make any other pricing changes you'd be subject to those. So if the base price increases, other option prices or configurations change, you'd be subject to those prices variances which would most certainly be higher.

If you are sure about the car, why not confirm and select a later delivery date than you actually want up to a year from now, and move it sooner if the funds or whatever variable changes to allow you to get the car sooner?

Why don't you just cancel and re-order when you are in a better position to buy? Doing it the other way - by finalizing your order and choosing a later delivery - will gamble your $2,500 reservation money which will then become non-refundable. In the event you are not financially where you need to be by the time you get closer to the delivery date, you may end up not being able to purchase the car and will lose your $2,500 deposit. So I would not roll the dice. Cancel your order and re-order once you were in a better position to complete the sale. There may be no price increases in the meantime anyway.

Why don't you just cancel and re-order when you are in a better position to buy? Doing it the other way - by finalizing your order and choosing a later delivery - will gamble your $2,500 reservation money which will then become non-refundable. In the event you are not financially where you need to be by the time you get closer to the delivery date, you may end up not being able to purchase the car and will lose your $2,500 deposit. So I would not roll the dice. Cancel your order and re-order once you were in a better position to complete the sale. There may be no price increases in the meantime anyway.

I believe the deposit only becomes non-refundable when your order goes to the factory (assuming nothing has changed). In my case. I had my reservation placed on July 20 (just over a year ago). Then I hit the Finalize, and Done buttons in April this year. At that point, be default, they were going in to a a 14 day hold period, before release the order to the factory. After release to the factory, was when my deposit was locked in.

Note, you can during the 14 day hold, ask for early release to the factory, and thereby get you car 2 weeks sooner... if you're committed. If not, you can also make last minute changes (safely) during the two week hold too.

I assume this process is still the same since my order.

I placed my deposit earlier this afternoon to have the option to have the old pricing ahead of whatever is coming tomorrow. I humbly suggest anyone on the fence to do the same. You can then choose to buy a car under the old pricing, under whatever is coming, or cancel.

Did you simply place your order and give cc # or "Confirm" your order? Will any increase apply if you don't confirm?

I placed a deposit with my sales rep so that my local store gets credit. I did not confirm my order. I used a credit card. I think this is the same as the initial procedure on the web. Do not confirm the order, as that does lock you in.

I placed my deposit earlier this afternoon to have the option to have the old pricing ahead of whatever is coming tomorrow. I humbly suggest anyone on the fence to do the same. You can then choose to buy a car under the old pricing, under whatever is coming, or cancel.

How do you know this will guarantee pricing when OP is being asked to confirm by the 1st?