Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However I do see the second generation i3 a head to head Blue Star competitor.

IMO that's making a big assumption about where BMW is going with this. I think it's fair to say that it could be a competitor, but I'm not sure it necessarily will be. It depends whether BMW takes the Nissan route of cutting prices and keeping the car limited range or really tries to enhance the car to be a true 3 series competitor (I can't imaging the current i3 being terribly interesting to most of the normal 3 series buyers). The styling choices really point to the european city car market.

The i3 has too low range, the i8 is a Fisker Karma with better badging.....If that sounds dismissive, well I guess it is.

bmw-logo-1024x768.jpeg
fisker_tramonto_emblem.jpg

Last edited:
Exterior looks basically like all spyshots/concepts - it's weird but not in a completely horrible way. Looks better than the Leaf. I particularly dislike the rear doors, but it's not a deal breaker.

It's the interior that is unexpected. I'm not sold on the "techno-futuristic" look of the dash. I'd have to see it in person before I make any conclusions.

As I said before, might be a good leased car until the Gen 3 gets here.

http://static.autoblog.nl/images/wp2013/BMW-i3-final-10.jpg

http://www.autoblog.nl/nieuws/scoop-de-productieversie-van-de-bmw-i3-60554

here is the first one I found close to production or real production

- - - Updated - - -

BTW: I pretty excited with range extender (it is not hybrid so don't get confuse...just supplying power to battery) and 124 pure battery miles.. if you drive little conservatively (who race on 35 miles local road) you can achieve more but awaiting real road test data...

I like the shape if it is final production car. Also range extender is interesting since it acts as generator only.

In US many housing complex don't have plugin facility. Even if you purchase new condominium or townhouses they have HOA and what not to prevent you from doing it (different topic). I think such buyer can plugin at rental places and use range extender as back up.

I will think about it only after test drive & more user reviews.

Keep in mind that BMW's base MSRP usually doesn't include a lot of the options that luxury buyers typically want (just try customizing a 3 series… they nickel and dime for every last feature), so expect an i3 to actually be close to 50k on average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I just saw this review over at Motor Trend: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1307_2014_bmw_i3_first_drive/

They can't stand the way it drives:

the car lolled through corners. Yes, its steering re-aimed the car, but observed a monk-like vow of silence about the particulars. Front-end grip washed away the instant I pressed it, and under acceleration (0-60 mph in about 7 seconds) there was a weird, warbling electronic sound that's exactly like a ray gun in an old black-and-white, 1950s sci-fi movie. I felt like ducking. It was almost comical. About the best thing you can say is that its short wheelbase and hyper-angling front wheels give it a heck of a turning circle, though the pan-like Bridgestone EP500 155/70R19 tiresicon1.png make it look a bit like an Automoblox toy while doing it. As it rolls, the i3 is a transportation zombie that might as well be an autonomous car.

I am trying my darndest to reserve judgement on the i3 until I see it in person as I try to let my inner Tesla fangirl'ism grow and accept EV's of all flavors.. but I am enjoying some of the comments on this article that I have run through Google translate. :biggrin:

I'm even trying to accept the whole range extender aspect. But I thought I read that the engine that the i3 will utilize is their motorcycle engine? Isn't that type of engine terribly not clean burning?

Last edited:
Oh, how I wish it could seat 5... My wife's itching to swap her Mini for a small EV. Gen 3 seems so far away; trying to avoid the Leaf...

Speaking of the Mini (a Clubman S with a "suicide door" on the passenger side), just wanted to note that these rear doors are going to be incredibly painful to use for backseat passengers unless they are nimble kids.

Oh, how I wish it could seat 5... My wife's itching to swap her Mini for a small EV. Gen 3 seems so far away; trying to avoid the Leaf...

Speaking of the Mini (a Clubman S with a "suicide door" on the passenger side), just wanted to note that these rear doors are going to be incredibly painful to use for backseat passengers unless they are nimble kids.
Mercedes B-Class may be your wife's best bet. Suicide doors should be perfect for my daughters (who will be 4 and 1.5 by the time I would get the i3). The B-Class and i3 are my top contenders to replace our Volt in October 2014.

Two gaps so far
1. No explanation on what the range extender does to the driving dynamics? Do you have to go under 55? Can't climb a hill? Is it powerful enough to drive a super lightweight car at 75?
2. Reports of "limited production numbers" - probably due to the carbon fiber assembly. I wonder how much weight savings they are getting (as a percent of the car's overall weight) instead of aluminum. That would give us an indirect estimate of the utility of CF (very expensive, difficult) vs. alum (expensive) and if it is a real competitive advantage

Chevy Spark? 400ft-lbs of torque. :) Autoblog seemed to like it...

Two gaps so far
1. No explanation on what the range extender does to the driving dynamics? Do you have to go under 55? Can't climb a hill? Is it powerful enough to drive a super lightweight car at 75?

Well, as it uses a 650 cm3 generator, it should have a constant power output of about 40 kW. That is enough power to drive at constant 140 km/h.

The i3 has too low range, the i8 is a Fisker Karma with better badging.....If that sounds dismissive, well I guess it is.

View attachment 26524View attachment 26525

The i3 has the range that most people need. Really, it doesn't take much to go to Tesla's range... just piling up more battery power with the corresponding $$$. But BMW has done their market assessment (for Europe) and realized 100km is enough for most.

The i3 has the range that most people need. Really, it doesn't take much to go to Tesla's range... just piling up more battery power with the corresponding $$$. But BMW has done their market assessment (for Europe) and realized 100km is enough for most.

Exactly, not everyone wants 70k to 100k EV (ah luxury ev or whatever you want to call for model s).

I think 90 to 125 range is pretty good for US driver on daily commute. You need more range extender option sounds great but need more details before commenting.

I like the production pictures and price is not bad if you avoid extra features (again up to individuals)

I would not buy a pure EV with 100 km range. First of all, is that a real "100 km"? Is it 100 km in even in the dead of winter, without ridiculous hypermiling techniques? Probably not - look at the Leaf. They claim 160 km but it's really 90 km. And at -20C it's 90 km with the cabin heat turned off.

Secondly, while 100 km would easily get me to work and back, it would NOT handle the fairly frequent trips I need for various work and personal errands all over the city. I would be constantly worrying about my charge level. This is why the Tesla's vehicles are so compelling - you can drive an EV with no range anxiety whatsoever on a daily basis. Every single day there's always enough range to do whatever you need to do.

Even people for whom a 100 km range is merely a psychological barrier, that will be enough to prevent them from purchasing the vehicle. It will not be a market success without a range extender. As soon as you go to a range extender you have all kinds of compromises - increased complexity, weight, maintenance, etc.

While everyone else is building cars that won't sell, Tesla is building cars that people really want. That is why they will be successful.

Reactions: 1 person