Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I test drive the BMW i3? Any 'owner' willing to give me a spin for Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This new fool article touts the BMW i3 as a serious trouble for Tesla:

BMW's New Electric Car Just Became a Major Problem

I know the i3 is lease only. But can someone helps (creatively) so I can test drive it? Any i3 'owner' willing to give me a spin? In return, you can have as much fun as you like with my still pristine Model S. :)

I know it can be done! I once went to Atlanta, where there is no store or service center, and yet I was able to get a Model S owner, who did not know me at all, to give me and my brother a spin. Well that is another fascinating story that I can share it in other occasion.

Sorry, I called BMW in Roseville a few weeks ago to try and get a test drive and they did not even know what an i3 was. He ask around the dealership and nobody else knew anything either so he took down my number and called the factory before calling me back 20 minutes or so later with some bad news; they are European test cars only and they did not know when they would be available in the states.

It's not even scheduled to hit showrooms until sometime in 2Q 2014. Not surprising that local dealers wouldn't have a clue about this car. Hard to imagine that this little car with 80-100 miles of range would be a serious threat to Tesla. When the i3 finally arrives, it may give more competition to the Mercedes B class powered by Tesla, but with the B class supposed to be released sooner, the B class might gain a foothold before the i3 becomes a factor. BMW has a lot of work to do to catch up.

Oh so I am mistaken by the other lease only all electric model BMW has:

BMW ActiveE

What is the deal with the Active-E? How similar it is to the i3 in term of driving performance and dymanic?

I guess I would like to test drive the Active-E then. So my request is:

Any Active-E 'owner' willing to give me a spin? In return, you can have as much fun as you like with my still pristine Model S. :smile:

Ah same thing... i3 is not comparable to model S but gen3 of tesla (assuming a lot of things will change in 3-4 years time)

Few people don't get it that you can't compare 35k (after tax rebate) with $70k to $100k (take $7500 off).

BMW went in the opposite direction i.e. releasing entry level car first and luxury version later (say more expensive one later)... just the opposite of tesla (Elon wanted BMW way but impossible price wise or for whatever reasons)

Last edited:
Oh so I am mistaken by the other lease only all electric model BMW has:

BMW ActiveE

What is the deal with the Active-E? How similar it is to the i3 in term of driving performance and dymanic?

The two cars are not really related. ActiveE was effectively a beta test that converted a BMW 1 series car to electric (it was lease only since it was basically a test car). The i3 is a ground up electric car design and will be sold normally (not lease only).

I would still buy the Volt over the BMW. 124 mi of range isn't adequate. The Volt has no range problems. The Tesla range is great enough that it will work for every situation except a cross country drive without lengthy stops. The BMW will never be able to go across country. The Volt can today and the Model S can in a few years. The BMW looks too small to me. The article doesn't discuss battery degradation. The degradation is non-existent in the Volt and nearly so in the Tesla.

Call Reynold at Weatherford BMW - you can purchase the i3 but not the ActiveE (lease only).

Renold Victor
Sales Manager
510-542-5224
[email protected]

This new fool article touts the BMW i3 as a serious trouble for Tesla:

BMW's New Electric Car Just Became a Major Problem

I know the i3 is lease only. But can someone helps (creatively) so I can test drive it? Any i3 'owner' willing to give me a spin? In return, you can have as much fun as you like with my still pristine Model S. :)

I know it can be done! I once went to Atlanta, where there is no store or service center, and yet I was able to get a Model S owner, who did not know me at all, to give me and my brother a spin. Well that is another fascinating story that I can share it in other occasion.