Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news/rumors of SoCal supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There do not appear to be any plans for a SuperCharger in the San Diego area,even as far out as 2015. :(

What trip are you trying to make? Telsa's strategy is to provide superchargers along the route of your trip, not at the end points.

I'm anxious for San Juan Cap, so I can drive to LA without actually going to Hawthorne, as well as San Bernardino and Primm, so I can drive to Vegas without range charging (since I have a 60, and range charging is just painful at superchargers).

Um, yeah. There's no plan for one in the San Francisco bay area either (with the largest concentrations of Teslas on the planet), and that's as it should be.

I disagree. I just did a trip from LA to the Bay Area, and needed to go from Gilroy to Folsom by way of 24 hours in Sebastopol/Guerneville (and then on to Truckee!). I know the idea is that you'll charge overnight when you get to your destination, but if you're traveling away from home, it'd be really nice to have a Supercharger nearby where you can recharge quickly upon arrival.

I'm rather disappointed they're not planning on installing one in San Diego. :(

Tony:

The question is not where, but when? OP indicates he's travelling in "a week". That was 2 days ago.
I don't think even you can get it done that fast :biggrin:

Indeed, although that location would be just dandy with me...

My last road-trip I ended up hobbling up from Paso Robles at 55mph, being passed by semis, barely making it to Gilroy, only to get the email about Atascadero being open not four days later... I have a hunch history will repeat itself... :p

I'm in Ventura, neighboring Oxnard and Camarillo. I have been watching for weeks, for building permits in Ventura, Oxnard and Camarillo but nothing has come up yet. My wild guess is a charger at The Collection Mall, Oxnard or Camarillo Outlets.

heard from someone the San Juan Capistrano supercharger will be located off the 5 fwy on Camino Capistrano/Del Obispo.

I saw a post on the Tesla Motors forum with this same location described.

I hope Tesla maximizes the number of spots at this location because I bet this location will challenge the other SC locations for one of the busiest.

Regarding a Supercharger in San Diego, I agree that having a SC within San Diego county would be helpful. The trip from the San Juan SC to El Centro SC (171 miles plus mountains) will stretch the 60 kw Teslas. Currently, many of the 60s cut it close when driving the (157 miles + mountains) between Las Vegas and Barstow. I've done a slightly longer version of this trip on a P85 (200 miles) from Orange County to the Imperial Valley twice. For each leg of these two occasions, I made sure I started with a range charge (265 rated miles for me) and made it using about 60 kWh (driving 60-65 mph) on one occasion and using 52 kWh (driving 55 mph) on the other. Driving those speeds on I-5 and I-8 was very doable but part of the long term dream is to not have to worry about how fast you drive.

I remain hopeful that Tesla will add additional sites beyond those listed on the published SC road map. If the pattern of SC spaced at approximately 60-70 mile intervals holds for Southern California, then placing a SC somewhere toward the outskirts of San Diego, perhaps in Escondido or El Cajon, would greatly decrease the distance between SC.

But for now, it's great news to see some progress regarding the San Juan SC.

image.jpg

I wandered through Del Obispo Plaza as suggested by Tony. This is the closest thing I found that *could* be the beginnings of a supercharger installation. It is very close to the Obispo Hwy exit from the I-5.