Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low 12v Battery Rolls down ALL Windows?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my good friend is away on a cruise and his neighbor calls me to say ALL HIS WINDOWS are down on his Model S while it was pouring rain! I called Tesla Service as nobody touched the remote or went near the car, and it seems that they think when the 12V battery starts to get too low it rolls down ALL the windows so you can get into the car as a safety. They are sending a flat bed to pick up his car and see what's actually wrong, but does this really make sense? If his neighbor wasnt looking after his home and it continued to rain how horrible would that be? The best part is the car was plugged in!

Anyone else experience this yet? I will try and update after service checks the car.:cursing:

I cannot see the logic of rolling down all the windows in any case. Maybe roll down one, but even that's a bit weird....doesn't sound like something that's been programmed in as a 'feature'. It's an urban myth that some cars roll down their windows when it detects it's underwater, right?

Bug, yes. Feature, no.

There is a mechanical override to exit the car. Owners manual page 30

So my good friend is away on a cruise and his neighbor calls me to say ALL HIS WINDOWS are down on his Model S while it was pouring rain! I called Tesla Service as nobody touched the remote or went near the car, and it seems that they think when the 12V battery starts to get too low it rolls down ALL the windows so you can get into the car as a safety. They are sending a flat bed to pick up his car and see what's actually wrong, but does this really make sense? If his neighbor wasnt looking after his home and it continued to rain how horrible would that be? The best part is the car was plugged in!

Anyone else experience this yet? I will try and update after service checks the car.:cursing:

There is a mechanical override to exit the car. Owners manual page 30
In my (old) copy, it's PDF page 30 but labeled page 28. Cropped picture below:

OpeningInteriorDoorsWithNoPower.png

As OP mentions, the window roll down is so that you can get into the car, not out of the car. I think the feature makes sense,, but I thought it only rolled down the driver side window, not all windows.

It did happen to me early on. Driver side window was down, battery dead. With the help of TESLA service I put the 12V battery on a charger for about 4 hours. Never was replaced and never had a problem since. ( 7 months, 5000 miles)

Right, 12V battery dies, so the car opens itself so all your valuables can be stolen and the interior of your car can get soaked. Maybe a snow drift inside, who knows?

If that's really a feature, I don't think they've thought it through...

It happened to me few times over the weekend after the FW on my car was updated. After talking to the SC folks, they confirmed that it was caused because of low 12v battery. The windows will roll down automatically if the car goes "dead" for access without breaking in. They replaced the battery today and things seem to be fine. They were surprised at the fact that no error messages were displayed. They are looking into it separately.

Oddly the battery booster did not work for me at the time. Not that I had get in the car anyway, so agreed, the window thing wasn't necessary.
Not sure what TS did but it happened at home, I didn't stick around and TS phone me 4 hours later to say the car was working again.