Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad FM reception

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my case the car is very susceptible to losing reception in valleys where my old car had not problems.
It is unlistenable. (Listening to NPR is where I heard about the Model S, imagine what I may miss if I
listen to something else :) ).

I have a Model S about 2 months old. The FM reception, especially on news station is poor, with pops, crackles, etc. Any one experience this problem. This does not occur on ant of my other cars.

It's weird, I was just noticing that with one particular station in my area (KPBS-FM). But it doesn't happen with any other station! And it makes those noises even on HD, which should be impossible because that's entirely digital. I don't understand what's happening.

I have a Model S about 2 months old. The FM reception, especially on news station is poor, with pops, crackles, etc. Any one experience this problem. This does not occur on ant of my other cars.
After three attempts to correct the problem, it has become worse. Now Tesla is blaming the radio stations and bad placement of FM towers!. None of my other cars have this problem.

HD will drop back to SD if the signal isn't good enough.

Poor FM reception is an issue I've had from the start. I live 45 miles from the towers and while every other vehicle and stereo in my home can receive signals with great clarity, the Model S is kinda fuzzy even on the strongest. They tried replacing my antenna amplifiers, but it seems to be an intrinsic problem with the in glass antennas and arrays that Tesla chose to use. The service center looked it over but ruled out technical issues... I demonstrated the difference on side by side cars. It still works, but HD cuts out now and then.