Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cross Country Rally to TMC Connect 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I missed Teslive 2013, but I'd like to attend 2014. I've also dreaming of a cross country supercharger road trip. Yesterday, PDXTelsa had a gathering and short rally, which was great fun.

Why not combine them? Anyone want to rally with me?

Since I'm in Portland, OR, I'd transport my car to the east coast and drive to Teslive and then back to Portland.

Here is my initial aggressive 7 day plan. Route is dependent on Supercharger locations. Could easily make it 9 days to keep the per day mileage under 400. Could also be convinced to stretch it to 2 weeks, having short days and include layover days and lots of touristy points of interest stops.

# Date Day Start Finish Milage Notes
1 Saturday New York City Youngstown, OH 397
2 Sunday Youngstown, OH Michigan City, IN 410 via Ann Arbor, MI
3 Monday Michigan City, IN Albert Lea, MN 459 Chicago Traffic
4 Tuesday Albert Lea, MN Rapid City, SD 520 Corn Palace
5 Wednesday Rapid City, SD Rock Springs, WY 477 Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse
6 Thursday Rock Springs, WY Winnemucca, NV 537 Bonneville Salt Flats, Great Salt Lake
7 Friday Winnemucca, NV Fremont, CA 405 Teslive!

TOTAL 3205

If I can get 4 total cars, then we'd rally across together. 8 cars, then rally in 2 groups of 4, 1 hour apart. If you can't make the whole trip, you could join us along the way!

Who's in?

I mentioned this a lot at the conference - spurred on by bluetinc who suggested the *ultimate* @TeslaRoadTrip. There are several of us East Coaters who plan on making the trek next year, but I think we'll need to drive more miles per day since we have to drive back and for many, taking too many days off will make the trip impossible.

As we get closer to next year and see where the superchargers actually are, it should be easier - but I am hoping we can make it across in 5 days max. The initial list of east coaters that have expressed interest are:

Aaron Schildkraut (aaron.s - NY) - @TeslaRoadTrip participant
Ben Goodwin (cinergi - Boston) - @TeslaRoadTrip participant
Peter Soukup (bluetinc - MD) - @TeslaRoadTrip participant
Dante Richardson (MD) - @TeslaRoadTrip participant
John Groves (teslasguy - PA) - @TeslaRoadTrip participant
Rick (artsci - MD)

Anyone else interested - post here and I will start organizing. If we get a lot of participants - it will be a lot more fun, but also can create a little bit of a bottle neck at superchargers, depending on how many stalls get installed at each location - so we might have to stagger groups of people during the drive and finally all meet up at our overnight location for each leg of the trip....

Aaron

Last edited:
I mentioned this a lot at the conference - spurred on by bluetinc who suggested the *ultimate* @TeslaRoadTrip. There are several of us East Coaters who plan on making the trek next year, but I think we'll need to drive more miles per day since we have to drive back and for many, taking too many days off will make the trip impossible.

As we get closer to next year and see where the superchargers actually are, it should be easier - but I am hoping we can make it across in 5 days max. The initial list of east coaters that have expressed interest are:

Ben Goodwin (cinergy - Boston) - @TeslaRoadTrip participant
Rick (artsci - MD)

Anyone else interested - post here and I will start organizing. If we get a lot of participants - it will be a lot more fun, but also can create a little bit of a bottle neck at superchargers, depending on how many stalls get installed at each location - so we might have to stagger groups of people during the drive and finally all meet up at our overnight location for each leg of the trip....

Aaron

No reason there couldn't be two or three different road trip routes: northern tier, I-70/I-80, and southern tier. If TESLIVE is allowed to grow larger in coming years, road trippers could swamp the Supercharger system as they converge on the event site.

That said, I'd like to latch on if/as the caravan passes through or near Denver.

Rick (artsci - MD)

Aaron

I'm definitely interested. Aaron, please add me to your list.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew -

Added!

All -

As others have said, I think only the northern route will be ready for Teslive 2014 - this is that "Elon" route thats shown on the supercharger map that is a combination of I70, I90, I80 and the PA Turnpike (I76) ending at the Newark, DE Supercharger.

This being what we (think) so far -- If it ends up being so, the perfect place to meet & start the trip will be the Newark, DE Supercharger. People north & south could meet us there. People south of VA - if you're willing to drive north(east) to meet us - even though it could potentially add a lot more miles, are certainly welcome to do so!

Stevezzzz - Looks like we'd be meeting up with you in Denver!

Aaron

I think this would be awesome. I would be starting off in St. Louis. I am not too keen on heading up so far north before turning west, but if any of the I-70 corridor SC's are open between STL and Denver, I could meet up with you in the Denver area. Even if not, I could still meander out to Denver utilizing KOA's, etc, before picking up the SC network.

-Lydia

Now....

...all you tropical ;) sorts know, that....

it's never really a rally unless and until it includes Alaska....

:) :)

I'm really hesitating, I have to admit, bopping down the Al-Can late in the year, as many of the few remaining services along those thousands of eastern Alaska-Yukon-northern BC miles are shuttered shortly after Labor Day. The Tesla may have to jump between AZ and AK on the ferry, as much as I hate to do that -

I dont' know if you guys have your final route, but I think you should detour through Colorado and go to one of Kimbal Musk's restuarants (Kimbal is Elon's brother for those that don't know).

This trip is obviously highly dependent on Superchargers. I assumed people would join in at different stages along the way. If only the South Dakota -> Southern California route is open, that would limit the flexibility of this trip and might have to postpone the trip to 2015.

I'm glad to see there is in fact interest. I'm guessing not much planning will be done until spring 2014 when we have a better idea on teslive date and supercharger locations (and sizes).

GREAT Idea!!!

Of course, everything will be covered and kept up to date on the @TeslaRoadTrip twitter page! (Which I keep updating - we have over 3,700 followers!)

Aaron

We could share our location and stats live via Waze. Another idea is to see how cheaply we can do the drive. Camp out, etc. Now if we could get a software version that allows you to keep the A/C on longer than an hour.. :)

I'm hoping tes live will be later in the year in 2014. Summer is really difficult because of the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Rick (artsci - MD)

How dare you misspell my handle. :)

Aaron had a good idea about breaking up into groups when we started so we don't swamp the SC's every time and end up waiting for hours. Might be good to try to time TESLIVE 2014 with a couple weeks that are typically low-travel weeks.

How dare you misspell my handle. :)

Aaron had a good idea about breaking up into groups when we started so we don't swamp the SC's every time and end up waiting for hours. Might be good to try to time TESLIVE 2014 with a couple weeks that are typically low-travel weeks.

Ben

How STUPID of me! It has been corrected! My apologies....

I heard someone talking at the conference that next year it might happen 1 week later.

Andrew -

I will enlist PureAmps (George) to perhaps work his magic (Again! Remember he tweeted our cars during the Original @TeslaRoadTrip) and make us a web page with stats and location information on our pilgrimage. I suspect it would provide valuable data to his Tripography site as well as allow others to follow our progress and know when to join in.....!

@PureAmps - are you listening? (Hint hint)

Aaron

PS - although it would be great to make this trip as cheaply (and as environmentally low-impact) as possible, I'll take a Motel 6 or the like over camping for this... It's gonna be a long trip there and back and a good nights sleep in a comfortable bed and a hot shower in the morning are essential!