Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wrapping and tint for new Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I'm expecting my MS next month and was looking for recommendations for a place to do a full wrap and window tint on the vehicle. I live in Southern California and had seen a few posts about a place is West Hollywood, but I live a bit inland and would prefer something closer...then again, if the service and results are good elsewhere, I would be willing to make the trip.

Thanks and looking forward to really joining the group!

welcome to the club! I just had my photosync tint done at Extreme autowerks in Cerritos. There were 5 other teslas there when I took my car in so they know the car really well. They also do full wrap as well. Their number is 562-449-3464.

There is only 1 place you should go. It's called Premier Protective Films and its in Fremont, not too far from the factory. Take factory delivery and drive there first. Tell them Hussain sent you. They're the only ones worthy of touching the car, IMO.

Thanks for the quick responses! As much as I would love to take factory delivery and drive it down...the reality of my schedule and life with little kids makes that impossible. As far as the material they used for the wrap, was it 3m? What degree of tint did you guys go for?

Thanks for the warm welcome and look forward to being a avid participant in this group...

The hardest color practically invisible

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 1,295
Hi guys,

I'm expecting my MS next month and was looking for recommendations for a place to do a full wrap and window tint on the vehicle. I live in Southern California and had seen a few posts about a place is West Hollywood, but I live a bit inland and would prefer something closer...then again, if the service and results are good elsewhere, I would be willing to make the trip.

Thanks and looking forward to really joining the group!

Al&Eds in West Hollywood has 5-6 Model S in their shop at any given time. They'll probably get you a loaner car for the time your car is down.

Just wondering why you would wrap it? I know here in south Fla wraps don't hold up at all. I fact we were looking into doing it on one of my tow trucks but the shops that are considered the best around said that 3m doesn't warranty complete wraps. They said the hood, roof & trunk areas, or in our case, basically anything facing up towards the sun won't hold up and is not covered against fading cracking or shrinking.

Just wondering why you would wrap it? I know here in south Fla wraps don't hold up at all. I fact we were looking into doing it on one of my tow trucks but the shops that are considered the best around said that 3m doesn't warranty complete wraps. They said the hood, roof & trunk areas, or in our case, basically anything facing up towards the sun won't hold up and is not covered against fading cracking or shrinking.

I'm in Miami and I did it to protect the paint. The cost of a partial clear "paint armor" was a few hundred less than a full wrap with color change so I went with the full wrap. In my case, the car is stored in a garage mostly and only parked in the sun a few days a week. There are a ton of wrapped cars in South Florida though. Granted these are also probably garage-stored as most of the ones I see are high end luxury brands.

I just moved to Miami and as I am about to place my order for a blue 85, I am a bit worried about the impact of weather conditions on the car. My house does not have a garage, so it would have to be expose to the sun (or raind or winds) most of the time. Would you recommend paint amor? An outdoor car cover?

For me it's my OCD nature....it's the same reason I wrap my phone as well. I have another vehicle (an Audi q7) covered and on a few occasions it has covered any door dings and chips. 3M will replace the film and also cover the repair underneath. I would just like to find a place that does teslas often in the southern CA area (and also does tints)...

I had mine completely wrapped with Xpel Ultimate and windows tinted with 3M Crystalline by Protective Film Solutions (www.protectivefilmsolutions.com) in Santa Ana, CA. According to Ryan, the owner, I was the 37th Model S they had wrapped (either partial or complete).

I have been very happy with the wrap. When the car was at the Telsa Costa Mesa Service Center for a software upgrade, I noticed the wrap made the car significantly more shiny than all the other cars there including those the had just been prepped for delivery. The wrap makes a ten-minute hand wash on the driveway look like a professional waxing with the extreme gloss.

I had mine completely wrapped with Xpel Ultimate and windows tinted with 3M Crystalline by Protective Film Solutions (www.protectivefilmsolutions.com) in Santa Ana, CA. According to Ryan, the owner, I was the 37th Model S they had wrapped (either partial or complete).

I have been very happy with the wrap. When the car was at the Telsa Costa Mesa Service Center for a software upgrade, I noticed the wrap made the car significantly more shiny than all the other cars there including those the had just been prepped for delivery. The wrap makes a ten-minute hand wash on the driveway look like a professional waxing with the extreme gloss.

Mind if I ask, how much did this cost you? Also, what amount did you have tinted and did you tint the pano roof? Pics would be appreciated if you have any...

Thx!

I may go with them as they are so close to the Costa Mesa center

My reply did not work. So here is my second attempt.

I had all windows (including windshield and pano roof) tinted to minimize the UV. I have CR90 on the windshield, CR70 on the pano roof, driver's window, and passenger's window, CR40 on everything else in back. All tinting is within legal limits according to Ryan @ Protective Film Solutions. All painted and black surfaces were wrapped. List price was $5700 for everything. Got 10% discount for mentioning their post on teslamotors.com forum. Perhaps a little on the pricey side but worth it given the workmanship and quality of materials. Pics below.

1-DSC_2110.jpg
2-DSC_2111.jpg
3-DSC_2112.jpg
4-DSC_2113.jpg

Last edited:
There's a LONG LONG THREAD about tints here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/11032-Model-S-Window-Tinting/page52

I personally chose Photosync and will do so for my incoming 2nd P85+. I was up in ski country this past weekend and noticed that my current MS's interior (with Photosync) stays warmer for longer compared to my friend's 5 Series. This is good because it was only 20 degrees and I needed to pre-heat the car / battery (about 15 minutes before taking off) for a long haul back home. Was doing 320Wh compared to 435Wh the day before and I did not preheat the car / battery. So I'm sure Photosync helped in helping with interior thermal retention because the difference is quite drastic compared to what others are reporting at about 15% difference in similar type weather.