Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Meet Up Near Ft. Myers Supercharger - Ribbon Cutting 7/25

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC, some of you already know me as the organizer of the SW FL Tesla Motor Group. Larry Chanin has the big job of the entire state so he asked that others take initiative in organizing a chapter in each area.

Unfortunately it looks like TM will not be hosting a ribbon cutting for the opening of the Ft. Myers SC after Port St. Lucie. I know a lot of us were looking forward to it so Larry has asked me to organize a meet-up near the FM SC, especially since all of us can't make it to PSL. I'll bring the ribbon, bow, and balloons...LOL! :biggrin: We still do not have an official date for when the FM SC will be functional although I can't imagine more then a week or two.

I spoke with the manager at the Islamorada Fish Company Restaurant in Brass Pro Shops at GCTC about a week ago. He was very open to blocking off a section just for us and had an area where we could all park together. Ideally this could be during the weekend so more can attend. We are open to any ideas, suggestions, or concerns about the meet up. I look forward to meeting and seeing many of you again soon.

Hi Erol,

Thanks again for your assistance, it is really appreciated.

To elaborate, earlier today I received notification from Tesla that "We currently do not have any plans for a ribbon cutting ceremony at the Fort Myers location." So unless Tesla changes their mind I've asked Erol to begin planning a separate meetup event at the Ft. Myers Supercharger location on a weekend during August.

However, as we know local politicians do like media events advertising developments in their community. :wink:
So we might have to be prepared to pivot back to a weekday event should the powers that be change their mind.

Last night I sent out a poll of members to guage interest to a meetup and so far after one day we're looking at around two dozen people.

Larry

Breaking News....

Just received this e-mail...

Tesla Motors said:
We are excited to announce our next Supercharger location in Florida. This newest addition to the Tesla Supercharger network will open Thursday, July 25th at 10am in Fort Myers. To commemorate this important milestone for Tesla and our South East community, we would like to invite you, your family and your friends to attend the ribbon cutting ceremony and celebrate with us.

When:
Thursday, July 25th at 10:00am

Where:
Fort Myers Supercharger
Gulf Coast Town Center
9903 Gulf Coast Main Street
Fort Myers, FL 33913

Please reply to this email if you plan to attend. Due to the expected volume of Model S owners, there may be a wait for charging. Please plan accordingly.

- - - Updated - - -

Mod Note: Florida ribbon cutting events are "sticky" for this week....

Well shoot. Won't be able to make the ribbon cutting cause of that darn J-O-B thing. Would have loved to drive the 161 miles (but who's counting) down and join everybody for the event. But if sometime in August or September, so you a grey Model S and a couple folks with ballons and party hats doing their own shin-dig at the charger, come say hello.

In my mind, the rollout of the Superchargers is really the big game changer. Many of the "EV rules" become different for us over the next 2 days. Have a wonderful time and enjoy this very, very special occasion. :smile:

As Nigel posted Tesla has set the ribbon cutting ceremony at the Fort Myers Supercharger with less than two days notice.

Nevertheless, following the ceremony we are planning an impromptu club meetup at the the Islamorada Fish Company located in Gulfcoast Town Center. We will start collecting at the restaurant at about 11:00am. We expect the ceremony to be wrapped up by then.

Due to the short notice it is not clear how many will be able to attend with Model Ss. Nevertheless, in addition to local owners we expect some club members from across the state to be in attendance. We should make a point of demonstrating good charging etiquette. Local owners that do not need a full charge to return home should limit the duration on the charger to permit members traveling from a distance to get an adequate charge. If you are charging while having lunch at Islamorada, please make sure that you monitor charging status via the mobile application on your Smartphone and move your car from the charging spot when you have an adequate charge to return home.

We hope to see you there, but if you can't make it we certainly understand.

Larry

As Nigel posted Tesla has set the ribbon cutting ceremony at the Fort Myers Supercharger with less than two days notice.

Nevertheless, following the ceremony we are planning an impromptu club meetup at the the Islamorada Fish Company located in Gulfcoast Town Center. We will start collecting at the restaurant at about 11:00am. We expect the ceremony to be wrapped up by then.

Due to the short notice it is not clear how many will be able to attend with Model Ss. Nevertheless, in addition to local owners we expect some club members from across the state to be in attendance. We should make a point of demonstrating good charging etiquette. Local owners that do not need a full charge to return home should limit the duration on the charger to permit members traveling from a distance to get an adequate charge. If you are charging while having lunch at Islamorada, please make sure that you monitor charging status via the mobile application on your Smartphone and move your car from the charging spot when you have an adequate charge to return home.

We hope to see you there, but if you can't make it we certainly understand.

Larry

Thanks Larry and Nigel for getting the word out as soon as you could. I reserved our tables at Islamorada under Tesla Motors Club. I also apologize for the late notice but I hope to see you all there. Hopefully everyone will be able to attend at least one ribbon cutting. Some of us will be attending both :biggrin:.

I want to do this! Just looked at my work calendar and I think I could do it... May mean a few conference calls from the car, but I do that a few times a week anyhow... Pencil me in, I didn't opt for supercharging initially so also depends on being able to enable before Thursday!

I want to do this! Just looked at my work calendar and I think I could do it... May mean a few conference calls from the car, but I do that a few times a week anyhow... Pencil me in, I didn't opt for supercharging initially so also depends on being able to enable before Thursday!

I hope everything works out so you can attend. I look forward to meeting you. Let me know if I can help out in any way.

We now know why there was only two days notice. There was only planned to be one event in FL - the PSL opening, with the PSL Mayor, Adam Hasner (who is working for Tesla right now), TV, etc. etc. This was chosen because it is the first FL SC. There wasn't an event planned for Ft Myers.

When the forum lit up and people started asking for it, Tesla hastily put something together - i.e., on Monday there wasn't an event, and by Tuesday there was. Hence the scramble.

So the short notice - and the event - was caused by us.

We now know why there was only two days notice. There was only planned to be one event in FL - the PSL opening, with the PSL Mayor, Adam Hasner (who is working for Tesla right now), TV, etc. etc. This was chosen because it is the first FL SC. There wasn't an event planned for Ft Myers.

When the forum lit up and people started asking for it, Tesla hastily put something together - i.e., on Monday there wasn't an event, and by Tuesday there was. Hence the scramble.

So the short notice - and the event - was caused by us.

It most certainly was. I know I sent a few e-mails to TESLA myself. Great job TMC! I would never want to belong to any other motor club. Hope to see you all here soon.

- - - Updated - - -

That is one I would have really tried to make, but I'm flying out to London tomorrow.....

Nigel you will have to come visit when you get back. Have a great trip.

- - - Updated - - -

Enjoy the opening and thank you for representing us! (Today and tomorrow!)

Liam I was hoping to see you and Kim.

I'm sorry we missed these ribbon cuttings! Unfortuantely, the J.O.B. is preventing me from galivanting around the state in search of superchargers :mad: I'm amazed how quickly the Ft Myers units came on line after seeng some very minimal construction progress just a few weeks ago at our club meet up! I have a trip scheduled to Ft Myers in August and will most definitely visit the charger for some juice.