Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggested changes/improvements for next year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I've read almost universally on these threads that everyone had a good time and thoroughly enjoyed themselves at TESLIVE 2013. I also think that the organizers did a great job (even if I'm still trying to figure out the real meaning of the puzzle teasers from a few months back!) and I enjoyed meeting everyone. While it's still fresh I'd like to make a couple of suggestions:

1. Like several others who mentioned this at the conference, there were overlapping break-out groups that I would like to have attended. Suggestions a) might be to keep the smaller groups but repeat them so that it would be possible for individuals to customize their timetable without missing any of the sessions or b) make each session a large central one.
  2. Allow more time between sessions for participants to visit the exhibitors tent(s). It was fine for those of us that came in early and got to see things on Friday, but that didn't work for everyone and speeches running late in the afternoon reduced time outside.
  3. Either of these first two suggestions options would probably necessitate running the conference into 2 days. I know that would increase the cost but I'd be willing to pay more and a number of other folks indicated that the conference was great value so there may be some price elasticity.
  4. Take submitted questions in advance for Elon/Tesla Management and use an interview format. The townhall format lead to lots of people thanking Elon or asking questions which didn't have broader relevance. Before everyone piles on me, I should say that I think it is appropriate to thank Elon/Tesla but 20 different people doing it one after another used up a great deal of question time.

Feel free to add your own suggestions.....

If the questions for Elon were vetted, there wouldn't be a guy asking Elon how he feels about women, because they aren't "techie" :wink: I know, I know, I keep bringing this up. Definitely a sore point for me, but hey, if it wasn't for that guy, I'd have nothing to complain about regarding TESLIVE!!

On a more serious note: I agree it would be nice to see other break outs, so I support either of Nigel's suggestions, or simply recording all the breakouts for review later. I know I had to take a rest and missed some sessions, but it might be beneficial for reviewing later even if one was in attendance.

To help fray the cost of getting an AV service, there could be a nominal price to watch all sessions online. I bet some people would pay to 'relive' experience, and those that can't attend in-person could enjoy as well.

Just an idea...

Last edited:
I would appreciate a much earlier announcement of the date. I was unable to attend due to a long scheduled visit of house guests-- very frustrating. Setting the date six months in advance would be great!

Thanks to all the organizers! Even just watching the videos after the fact was wonderful, even though sort of painful too. :biggrin:/:crying:

4. Take submitted questions in advance for Elon/Tesla Management and use an interview format. The townhall format lead to lots of people thanking Elon or asking questions which didn't have broader relevance. Before everyone piles on me, I should say that I think it is appropriate to thank Elon/Tesla but 20 different people doing it one after another used up a great deal of question time.
I completely agree that the questions should be submitted ahead and restructured for clarity and brevity. Audience participation is fun but I quickly got... um... impatient with people dwelling in the lights instead of leaving the time for Elon to use.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to see it coordinated with Refuel. I heard they tried to do that this year but Elon's schedule didn't permit. As much as I appreciate Elon's (and Jerome's and Leilani's) presence(s), as an out-of-towner I'd definitely get more out of attending Refuel -- definitely as a viewer, and perhaps as a participant.

1. Take submitted questions in advance for Elon/Tesla Management and use an interview format. The townhall format lead to lots of people thanking Elon or asking questions which didn't have broader relevance. Before everyone piles on me, I should say that I think it is appropriate to thank Elon/Tesla but 20 different people doing it one after another used up a great deal of question time.

As a non-attendee who would really like to go next year - I would second (or third) this suggestion. I would love to be able to thank Elon/Tesla crew in person as well, but in regard to this format it does cut into the overall time and the potential number of questions he could field.... and I have a feeling he knows that we love him/Tesla. An interview format would also cut out someone asking for a job with Tesla - which, though brilliant, takes up more time and puts Elon/Tesla mgmt on the spot. Sorry in advance to any I may offend with that... I mean it takes guts, but it's been done before at the last shareholder's meeting and again here.

If we go with an interview format, I say hold a contest for who gets to be the lucky interviewer!

And I loved being able to watch the Livestream (though I waited until a later hour) - so thank you so much for setting that up!

While i totally agree that the interview format would be ideal and the "chicks aren't tech" guy was only one of many unneeded spoutings at the microphones.
I also feel the Georgiana's opening praise, the bottle of wine, Greg's opening it and the following iterations were emotionally moving and put Elon in a great mood that was absolutely priceless.

I give that spontaneous unscripted beautiful moment equal weight to the pain of the several unwanted diatribes.

I think I've read almost universally on these threads that everyone had a good time and thoroughly enjoyed themselves at TESLIVE 2013. I also think that the organizers did a great job (even if I'm still trying to figure out the real meaning of the puzzle teasers from a few months back!) and I enjoyed meeting everyone. While it's still fresh I'd like to make a couple of suggestions:

1. Like several others who mentioned this at the conference, there were overlapping break-out groups that I would like to have attended. Suggestions a) might be to keep the smaller groups but repeat them so that it would be possible for individuals to customize their timetable without missing any of the sessions or b) make each session a large central one.
  2. Allow more time between sessions for participants to visit the exhibitors tent(s). It was fine for those of us that came in early and got to see things on Friday, but that didn't work for everyone and speeches running late in the afternoon reduced time outside.
  3. Either of these first two suggestions options would probably necessitate running the conference into 2 days. I know that would increase the cost but I'd be willing to pay more and a number of other folks indicated that the conference was great value so there may be some price elasticity.

Feel free to add your own suggestions.....

Numbers 1 and 2 are the problems you run into with all conferences and exhibitions. Though a 2 day format would probably be very nice.

I'd like to see more participation from Tesla employees. Teslive is clearly a user driven event with great support from the corporation. But it would be really neat to have the Tesla battery engineer or JB Straubel in a particular session. Or a Tesla employee in every session!:biggrin:

In another world, I was involved from a corporate standpoint in this kind of conference. We kind of had the opposite problem getting the users to speak. I think shifting the balance a bit would be great to make it more in-depth as we are sort of guessing at the technology not building it.

I'd like to see more participation from Tesla employees. Teslive is clearly a user driven event with great support from the corporation. But it would be really neat to have the Tesla battery engineer or JB Straubel in a particular session. Or a Tesla employee in every session!:biggrin:
Perhaps the organizers can answer this one:
Would the TesLive organizers entertain the option of paying speakers for their time, or is that option off the table? I'm sure there are some industry experts that are a "no-go" without some compensation.

Note that I mean general meeting speakers, not panelists for the breakout sessions.