Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 weeks into production and color changed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

4SUPER9

2022 Model S
Jun 6, 2013
So Cal
I read here a while back that someone wanted to change his wheels after entering production and he was unsuccessful. I finalized my order on 6/21. Several days later I decided to change from 21" back to 19" wheels (so that I can worry less about curbs, potholes and could use chains on my ski trips if needed). They gladly accommodated me.

A couple of days ago, 4 weeks after finalizing, I happened to be at the Century City mall to buy some gifts, when I just "happened" to stroll into the Tesla store. On display for the first time there, was a nice shiny blue MS. I was previously utterly convinced that white was my only consideration. I really fell in love with this blue one though. It seems so sophisticated and even sportier than my white. Maybe a little more of an aggressive look.

I called my Tesla rep and asked if they could make the change from white to blue. He was very accommodating again, and asked me to give him a few hours and check my dashboard later. Yesterday morning, I logged in and saw that my blue MS is in production: "Sourcing parts." I am confident that my delivery time will be delayed, but that's okay. I have another 6 weeks on my other car lease anyway.

I am really happy with my choice. The blue is so much more aggressive than the white IMO.
Here is a picture of it from Al & Eds in W. Hollywood with a color matched nose cone. I may go ahead and do this myself.

www.SupercarFocus.com19.jpg

I think blacking out the chrome would look amazing on the blue, especially with the darker wheels. Even without the dark wheels, it's a vast improvement.

Why does everyone hate chrome so much? I think a little chrome for accents is nice. I think Model S has just the right amount. Blacking it out makes it look kind of monotone.

How do they do the blacking out anyway? Paint? That rubber stuff?

Why does everyone hate chrome so much? I think a little chrome for accents is nice. I think Model S has just the right amount. Blacking it out makes it look kind of monotone.

I don't mind the chrome in moderation either. I probably wouldn't do chrome wheels, but the little accents are a nice touch. I do understand people wanting to individualize their car or personalize it as well though.

They typically wrap the chrome items or use a plasti-dip type product to change the color.

I don't really understand the disdain for chrome either. Though i have found the handles to be pretty hellishly hot when left baking in the summer sun for a few minutes... I wonder of the wraps make the handles more manageable in the heat...

I don't really understand the disdain for chrome either. Though i have found the handles to be pretty hellishly hot when left baking in the summer sun for a few minutes... I wonder of the wraps make the handles more manageable in the heat...

That's a good point. I like the look of the chrome handles, but here in Vegas it gets to be 120+ degrees in the summer. Perhaps it's a good excuse to get them wrapped or else I'll just use a glove-like device to open the door.

There's no bad choice in the colors available, but I do like the metallic blue it seems to encompass the best of both worlds luxury yet sporty. I order the blue so Congratulations! On a personal note I'm a fan of chrome! But the above picture looks sharp!!!!

That's a good point. I like the look of the chrome handles, but here in Vegas it gets to be 120+ degrees in the summer. Perhaps it's a good excuse to get them wrapped or else I'll just use a glove-like device to open the door.
Wouldn't a "glove-like device" be... A glove? Lol. Is that an oven mitt in your pocket or are you just happy to see your MS?