Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 60kwh--Salvage Title--For Sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Edited 7/23: Sale Pending
9/3: SOLD!!!
-------------------------------

I purchased this Model S from my insurance company after my accident. It will have a California Salvage Title.

The car sustained a glancing blow to the front which damaged the front fender, frunk cover, reinforced bumper and bumper supports. The damage to the front was repairable but it was discovered that there was a deformity to the battery casing caused by the tow truck driver--The battery is fully functional and sealed. The cost of a new battery put the car into "total loss" category.

The car is at Tesla awaiting replacement of the "pyro fuse" that goes off when the airbags deploy. After this fuse is replaced, all systems should be fully functional, although the car will alert because of the airbags being deployed.

Car had 6600 miles on it before the accident. The body is pristine with the exception of the frunk lid and front bumper.

Note that the bumper supports are a restricted item that Tesla will only sell to their certified body shops.

I am taking offers on the car as a whole package. If I don't get any reasonable offers in a week or two, I'll put the car on eBay.

image_4.jpeg
image_3.jpeg
image_2.jpeg

photo-5a.jpg
photo 1 (2).jpg
photo 2 (1).jpg

photo 3 (1).jpg
photo 5 (1).JPG
photo 4 (1).JPG

Last edited:
What kind of offer were you thinking? I don't want to make an offer that would offend anyone...

Also, is it a base model? or Tech package?

I see photos of the battery taken out of the car, is the main battery installed or still seperated from it?

I sent you my cell #, it won't let me PM you again for another 60 minutes... maybe because my account is new? I guess another question I have is, did you get a quote to get it repaired? I'm wondering if Tesla service center will even touch the thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Main battery will be installed. Has Pano, tech, air suspension, Supercharger.

Make me an offer via PM. I won't be insulted. I might laugh, but I won't be insulted.

You were right, you did laugh :biggrin:. Nice speaking with you, hope someone takes advantage of this great opportunity.

Are you buying a new Model S? And last question, can you send me a link to your crash? I haven't seen anything on the web about it, just heard you speak to Elon about it at teslive.

Can you elaborate on this? My interest is avoiding this same issue if I ever need my car towed. What should the tow truck guy have done differently?

By the time the tow truck driver arrived, the 12V battery had died. The car was pointed nose first into some bushes and the parking break was engaged. Because the 12V battery was dead, there was no way to put it into jack mode for towing. So the driver hooked up to the rear of the car, probably the rear control arms, and dragged the car onto the flatbed.

There was probably some leverage put against the battery by the placement of the tow hooks. This can be seen in the pics of the battery pack.

If I had to do it again this is what I would recommend
  • Chock the tires
  • Put the car in Jack (tow) mode before the 12v battery dies
  • Jump the 12 v battery if necessary to power systems
  • If the wheels are locked, make sure the driver uses "skates"/casters below the wheels.

Because the 12V battery was dead, there was no way to put it into jack mode for towing
I requested (@ownership) months ago that they add a manual release in future vehicles (and ideally a retrofit for those of us with vehicles already). If they can't do it for Model S, they should definitely do it for Model X and beyond. They've had plenty of time to get this right for post-S vehicles.

Because the 12V battery was dead, there was no way to put it into jack mode for towing.

If the LEAF's 12v battery dies, there is still an official way to force the car from park into neutral by pulling a couple of fuses. iirc, it requires two people, because of the timing and the distance between the fuses.

I wonder if there way to do something similar with the Model S, but it just hasn't been shared with the public.