Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Drying Option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had our car detailed last week and noticed that the detailers used a blower to dry it off rather than towels... I talked to them about it and said there were a few models like what they had but recommended the larger HP version they bought if you were going to dry anything larger than a motorcycle. The nice thing in particular (especially for anyone with Black or a dark color), is that you don't have to use a towel to dry it after washing so reduce your chances of any swirl marks. He was also able to dry the car in only a few minutes vs. the amount of time it has taken me to do it with towels. It also helps with blowing out the mirrors, lugnuts, etc. so you won't have any drip marks occur after you drive where there was some hidden water.

The model he had and what we ended up also buying is the MB3CD Air force Master Blaster 8-HP Dryer. You can buy it many places based on a search I did but we bought ours on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SPCGC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So just thought I would post given I know many people here are concerned with keeping the paint looking good and preventing any swirl marks.

Reactions: mswlogo
I recently got one of the 8HP dryers too. It's been great, so far. Takes a little practice to get the hang of removing the water, rather than just blowing it from place to place. But it leaves a nice dry surface with little effort and no physical contact. Win.

One of the benefits of the dedicated dryers is that they blow filtered air, so you won't be grit-blasting your paint job if any crud gets stirred up from the floor and sucked into the air intake. I don't know whether leaf blowers are filtered, but I suspect not. That would give me some pause.

Compressed air will definitely work to blow the water off, but unless you're using a specifically filtered air line you will be misting your car with the oil used to lubricate the compressor head. Might not be a big issue if you have a relatively clean compressor, or one of the oil-free models. I haven't tried it to find out. But I don't know whether I would trust a shop compressor to output particularly clean air.

Thanks for your comment... haven't tried anything else personally but wouldn't use our air compressor or leaf blower. This seemed much better as it had a lot more air flow than anything I have and the various hose tips help to do whatever you want. I also found out the guy that did our tint/wrap has the same model (he knows our detailer) has one and also uses it to blow out his garage.

I recently got one of the 8HP dryers too. It's been great, so far. Takes a little practice to get the hang of removing the water, rather than just blowing it from place to place. But it leaves a nice dry surface with little effort and no physical contact. Win.

One of the benefits of the dedicated dryers is that they blow filtered air, so you won't be grit-blasting your paint job if any crud gets stirred up from the floor and sucked into the air intake. I don't know whether leaf blowers are filtered, but I suspect not. That would give me some pause.

Compressed air will definitely work to blow the water off, but unless you're using a specifically filtered air line you will be misting your car with the oil used to lubricate the compressor head. Might not be a big issue if you have a relatively clean compressor, or one of the oil-free models. I haven't tried it to find out. But I don't know whether I would trust a shop compressor to output particularly clean air.

Yes... Here are the details on Amazon:

Air force Master Blaster is capable of delivering up to 58,500-Feet-per-minute of clean, dry, warm, filtered air. Each motor is controlled by a separate switch that allows you to select from three different airflow and temperature levels to blow dry your Motorcycle more efficiently.
- All steel construction
- 8.0 Peak HP, 58,500 ft./min. air flow, 2 motors, 2 stage dual fan, 2 speeds, 2 temperatures, 18 amps, 2,160-Watt, weighs 16-Pound
- Includes heavy duty neoprene blower nozzle plus 5 interchangeable attachments, 10-Feet by 1.5-Inch flexible commercial strength hose, 12-Feet heavy duty, 3 conductor cord, easy change foam filter
- 1 Year warranty
- Made in USA

Is the filter replaceable?

We had our car detailed last week and noticed that the detailers used a blower to dry it off rather than towels... I talked to them about it and said there were a few models like what they had but recommended the larger HP version they bought if you were going to dry anything larger than a motorcycle. The nice thing in particular (especially for anyone with Black or a dark color), is that you don't have to use a towel to dry it after washing so reduce your chances of any swirl marks. He was also able to dry the car in only a few minutes vs. the amount of time it has taken me to do it with towels. It also helps with blowing out the mirrors, lugnuts, etc. so you won't have any drip marks occur after you drive where there was some hidden water.

The model he had and what we ended up also buying is the MB3CD Air force Master Blaster 8-HP Dryer. You can buy it many places based on a search I did but we bought ours on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SPCGC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So just thought I would post given I know many people here are concerned with keeping the paint looking good and preventing any swirl marks.

This is the exact machine my detail guys use. It's really the only way to blow dry it fully. You have to be careful around the side marker lights and roof flips, as the air force can rip things off.

The other thing to consider (black cars) is a water filter system that prevents water spotting from the get go. People swear by this system. You can literally let air dry, without the water spotting on your car.

DI-120 Cr Spotless Water System : Amazon.com : Automotive

I use my leaf blower. My wife still thinks I'm crazy, but it does a good job!

I have an electric rechargeable leaf blower - so while not nearly as powerful as what is being discussed here, it does get the hidden drips out. I usually get the bulk of the water with towels, use the blower to chase out the stuff that's hiding, and then give it one more once over with towels. Seems to work really well. And I don't have to deal with annoying 'tethered to the outlet' issues.

Thanks... may look into getting that as well.

This is the exact machine my detail guys use. It's really the only way to blow dry it fully. You have to be careful around the side marker lights and roof flips, as the air force can rip things off.

The other thing to consider (black cars) is a water filter system that prevents water spotting from the get go. People swear by this system. You can literally let air dry, without the water spotting on your car.

DI-120 Cr Spotless Water System : Amazon.com : Automotive

I have been using a leaf blower with a followup microfiber wipe. In South Florida the water is hard and I still get water stains. For those who use the Master Blaster, does the warm air blower eliminate the water marks or do you still need soft water to avoid spotting? (I only wash after sunset).

I dont think the master blaster is going to make a difference in spotting unless it's just more efficient at removing the water off your car faster than the leaf blower does preventing water from sitting as long. Been looking to get a master blaster as I only have a sidekick right now but they don't ever seem to go on sale.