Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

locked out??!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just parked my Tesla model S in my garage and left the key on the front passenger seat by accident. Just as the handles were closing, I remembered the key and reached for the handle. Too late! Thought "oh, thats ok. I'll just push the handle and open the door". No. The car apparently did not recognize the key was in the car!! I was no effectively locked out!! The key is not old enough to be low in batteries. In fact, I have notice over the 7 months I have had the car that in certain positions it seems to fail to recognize the key, while in other positions, it recognizes the key just fine… Any ideas?? (solved my problem with my other key… but what if I don't have that other key???)

Ohhh…!! forgot about that! Feel better. However, still a big concern that the keys get locked in so easily … and randomly

I guess you could turn off the autolocking doors. However, if I left the key inside, I would want the doors to lock I think. Of course, the best thing would be if the car could tell if the key was inside and give you a beep or something. I'm not sure that the car can tell the difference between the fob being in the car and the fob being outside but near the car.

Had this exact same thing happen yesterday. Pressed all handles, trunk, everything repeatedly and couldn't get it. Odd thing is that most often the handles will present and only this one time they didn't. I can't tell you how many times before I've left the key inside the car. The door handles have retracted and I've been able to push to present. This is definitely a bug in firmware 6.0 (and likely earlier versions) given that the behavior is not consistent.

Oh, and my phone was in the car too so had to get someone to load the app on theirs.

Had this exact same thing happen yesterday. Pressed all handles, trunk, everything repeatedly and couldn't get it. Odd thing is that most often the handles present and only this once they didn't. I can't tell you how many times before I've left the key inside the car. The door handles have retracted and I've been able to push to present. This is definitely a bug in firmware 6.0 (and likely earlier versions) given that the behavior is not consistent.

Oh, and my phone was in the car too so had to get someone to load the app on theirs.

Makes NO sense why you would leave your key in the car, do you not have pockets in your pants, or shirt, or jacket?......