Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model S Design and Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know anything about when the next physical changes will take place on the Model S? I saw in a Bloomberg article that Musk said the following making me think, there may be some differences in a model if I bought it now vs. end of year.

"By year end, engineers will slice the Model S’s weight as much as 80 pounds (36 kilograms), Musk said"

Surprised I haven't seen any other comments about this especially since it means they may have models by year end that have better range.

Last edited by a moderator:
The article said the replacement parts would be lighter, cheaper, easier to install, and maintain the 5 star safety rating. If that's true it sounds like an all around good change. Tesla seems to make design changes very rapidly, and doesn't wait to the next model year to implement them -- they just start start including them into new cars. No idea when they are implementing these specific changes though.

At the Teslive session Elon mentioned specifically mentioned that they had to use boron steel inserts and aircraft grade bolts in the B pillars in order to get the crash rating they needed in the time frame they had. But with a re-engineer he said they could achieve that with aluminum and save 80 lbs.

They've repeatedly said their game plan is small aesthetic type changes and improvements every 3/4 year intervals and bigger technical changes (aka battery tech and major facefilts) every 7/8 year intervals. I would expect things like those steel inserts and rear vents for childs seats and parking sensors to trickle in here and there too. most changes like that should be 'upgradeable'.

I agree. I know there will always be existing owners who will be teed off, but I see no reason that Tesla shouldn't continuously improve their vehicles if they can and it makes business sense.

Like any good tech product, it's out classed in a year, if not a few months. If Tesla can do this, it's awesome, and striving to have a better product, regardless of whether or not it's upgradeable for existing owners, is an awesome behavioral trait.

If I remember correctly, Musk at one point said that he expects a Model S refresh once every 5 years and then he expects a 500 mile Model S. Obviously there are going to be minor changes there. If this holds true, it will most likely keep the resale value of the car pretty well.