Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you intentionally lock keys in the car with iPhone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

If, say, I want to hide the keys inside my Model S, then lock the car using the iPhone App, is this possible? I've read that some folks accidentally locked themselves out. Does this "functionality" still exist with the latest firmware--or did Tesla remove it after complaints?

I, for one, want to be able to manually lock the car with the keys inside.

Thanks,

Michael

I don't have mine yet but if you want to lock the key in the car for emergency/ spouse access, can the battery in the key be removed? If so, then you could keep it in the car, just keeping it away from the RFID sensors (cup holder and passenger side windshield near the wipers if I read properly).

That way you could unlock the car for someone, they would then put the battery in the key fob and go (or use the aforementioned cupholder place).

Again, not owning a MS yet, I'm purely speculating.

No. I once thought we may have had the spare key in the car while we weren't in it, so tried locking it remotely via the phone.

Didn't work - you could just walk up to the car and open the door.
Thanks for that info. I wonder if that's a Tech Package-only thing?

I believe without the Tech Package, you have to use the remote/key to unlock the car. Anyone with a non-Tech car try it?

Yes. This works. The spare key with the battery removed will do nothing.No need to keep it away from any sensors.

I've heard it both ways (that the key contain an RFID and can operate without a battery), so I decided to try it myself.

I can confirm - without a battery you can't do anything. Can't open the door, can't start the car. No magic passenger window area or cupholder area exist.

I can confirm - without a battery you can't do anything. Can't open the door, can't start the car. No magic passenger window area or cupholder area exist.
I concur. There is no magic passenger window area or cup holder area that will recognize a fob with an absent or totally dead battery.

Checked this out at the SC when I picked up my car. Had them remove the battery and show me where the magic window spot was. Turns out there isn't one. Subsequent email to Tesla indicated the window area is only sensitive to a low battery fob.

I took my car to Tesla service and I was going to be late to pick up my car (after they closed). So they told me since I had the iPhone app, they would lock the key in the frunk and then I could unlock the car with my iPhone and then open the frunk from the screen and get my key. I never tried it because I ended up getting the car prior to them closing. So could be something to try.

I like how Fords have the 'keypad' on the driver's side that unlocks the door. You could leave your key inside the car with that and would never get locked out on accident. I would love a way to leave the key in the car and have the doors locked (less complicated than having to get in and out of the frunk would be great).

Also, it would be cool if they would have built a little 'shelf' or 'slot' for the key to rest in when you are in the car. I never know where to put it. It will slide out of pocket/cubby under screen, rattle around the yacht floor, occupy space for a beverage, etc. Only other option is the door handle which is okay I guess. Maybe I'll get the console and drop it in there. I don't know what other manufacturers do who have keyless systems, this is my first vehicle with one.