Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers at Tesla Stores and Service Centers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read a post about the Las Vegas service center stating that they were going to have a Supercharging station.

Today I came across the not yet opened Tesla Store and Service Center in Burlingame, California (very close to SFO); about 3 miles from my home.

In front were four HPWC's and a fifth bay with conduit that appeared heavier duty. My guess is that it's for a Supercharger.

photo 2.jpg

I read a post about the Las Vegas service center stating that they were going to have a Supercharging station.

Today I came across the not yet opened Tesla Store and Service Center in Burlingame, California (very close to SFO); about 3 miles from my home.

In front were four HPWC's and a fifth bay with conduit that appeared heavier duty. My guess is that it's for a Supercharger.

View attachment 25739

I think this would be a no-brainer for Tesla in their mission to expand the supercharger network exponentially.

The newer SC maps show a new SC in Seattle by winter. I'm guessing that it will be at the pending Seattle Service Center move to Stadium Nissan's old property on 6th Ave S. Nissan presumably had EV charging circuits. But lot space is going to be tight there, so maybe for MSs, they are trying to reduce the dwell time below the many-hours 220v stays.

And it is right at the intersection of I-5 and I-90.

I know the service centers in Menlo Park and Fremont have "mini superchargers" in the work areas. They used those to diagnose my busted on-board charger (long story). Even if they didn't pack the punch of 120kw, they sure charged faster than a HPWC. (I peeked on the mobile app once.)

BTW, what's the address to the Burlington place?

I wonder if we will ever be able to plug in at the designated Tesla area here at Yorkdale Mall in Toronto. The area is currently roped off for all of the test drive vehicles and there is not yet a supercharger in the area, despite what I believe to be a high number of deliveries.

Of course, there are charging options at Yorkdale in the opposite end of the newer parking structure, but they cost $$$!

DSJ,

Are you not able to charge there now? At all the stores in the US they rope the sections off to keep them from getting ICEd (Though I have seen that happen) but they are always happy to let you charge (say hi, let them know/make sure it's ok etc.).

Peter

I wonder if we will ever be able to plug in at the designated Tesla area here at Yorkdale Mall in Toronto. The area is currently roped off for all of the test drive vehicles and there is not yet a supercharger in the area, despite what I believe to be a high number of deliveries.

Of course, there are charging options at Yorkdale in the opposite end of the newer parking structure, but they cost $$$!

DSJ,

Are you not able to charge there now? At all the stores in the US they rope the sections off to keep them from getting ICEd (Though I have seen that happen) but they are always happy to let you charge (say hi, let them know/make sure it's ok etc.).

Peter

I'm sure they would be kind enough to let me plug my car in, when I get it. However there are always test drive vehicles occupying the spots and because of the location of the Tesla store in relation to the parking, it wouldn't exactly be convenient for Model S drivers to have to park elsewhere, walk to the store, ask for an associate, and make arrangements for a test drive vehicle to be moved.

Not really complaining, just hope the spots stay roped off and Model S owners get access in the future! :)

Good to know. I had them planned as a backup charging point a couple of weeks ago, but as it turns out, Canada's charging network of 70A chargers is fantastic (wish the same could be said about the US) and there wasn't any need. I'm sure you will be trilled with your car when you get it in a few weeks!

Peter

I'm sure they would be kind enough to let me plug my car in, when I get it. However there are always test drive vehicles occupying the spots and because of the location of the Tesla store in relation to the parking, it wouldn't exactly be convenient for Model S drivers to have to park elsewhere, walk to the store, ask for an associate, and make arrangements for a test drive vehicle to be moved.

Not really complaining, just hope the spots stay roped off and Model S owners get access in the future! :)

Good to know. I had them planned as a backup charging point a couple of weeks ago, but as it turns out, Canada's charging network of 70A chargers is fantastic (wish the same could be said about the US) and there wasn't any need. I'm sure you will be trilled with your car when you get it in a few weeks!

Peter

Thanks Peter!

We have a great head start on 3rd party charging infrastructure here in Canada, you're definitely right about that. Lots of businesses and property corps have realized the potential gains and attractiveness of catering to the EV crowd. Can't wait to go on my first Tesla road trip!

You're more than welcome to use it. On my test drive 2 weeks ago, a Model S owner rolled up just as we were parking. He parked beside the roped off/taped off zone, dragged the connector to his car, and gave us (and my Tesla associate) a wave. I asked if it was cool to do what he did, and the answer was "yeah, of course!"

I threw down my deposit a few days after the drive. I wanted to do it then and there, but I had to jet. My Model S arrives in March (on purpose - lease is up then). :)

I was just about to start a thread on this and took a breath to search the forums first.

It seems to me that it would be the perfect marriage of service and marketing to have an supercharger connection or two at each and every service center/sales center available for owners. Even though I haven't finalized my order, I can clearly see that the best Tesla salespeople are current Tesla owners. Why not provide increased opportunities for potential buyers and current owners to be in the same place at the same time? Have coffee and water available for the current owners while they wait for a charge and use their (otherwise free) honest passion in candid chats with new customers. Seems like the proverbial "no-brainer" ...